Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:27:00 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: align bore air-cooled
Comments: To: thomas LaPointe <vanagonmail@GMAIL.COM>

Straightness and align boring are two different issues. Straightness can be checked with a precision straight edge or a ground granite block. You also need to check the cylinder mounting surfaces. First check is to look at the center of the case halves and see if the milling marks are still on the flat faces of the bearing journals. If they are smooth the case is junk or at least a lot of machine work is necessary. Since these engine tend to overheat it is common for the case to be shot. Put the case halves together empty. Can you see light on the bearing webs? If the webs are worn, when the case is torque down, the cylinder mounts will become twisted and the heads will not seal properly. Place cylinders on the bosses and check across the top to make sure they are straight and parallel, especially on the left side.

As for it being babied, why is it now apart?

Dennis

looking at my 2.0 case today for the old 83 westy. they tanked the case and it looks great. I see no unusual markings in the bearing saddles and I know the history of this "babied" engine since new. are align bores mandatory, or is there a way for me to check the straightness of the case. it's been many a year since I worked one of these. thanks, Thomas

-- 1985 Full Westy "Rustfalia" 1982 Full Westy "on the mend" 1972 Honda Z600 2 cyl