Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:11:21 -0500
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: clutch woes

Leo,

Make sure you bleed your system well, and even try "bench bleeding" the Master Cly before throwing it out.

Use a good DOT 4 fluid, and be sure you don't have any system leaks... check all your lines.

How many miles to you have on your clutch, what % of driving is city, what year is your Vanagon?

Jack

Hello All,

A couple of months ago my clutch pedal started engaging very low, and more recently it goes to the floor on occasion. If I push slowly I can pretty much get it to go all the way down. I replaced the clutch master cylinder a little over three years and 22k miles ago, so I figured that the slave cylinder must be failing (conventional wisdom says to change them both at the same time, right?). I changed the slave cylinder last weekend and I still have the same problem.

The more I think about it, it seems as if the clutch master cylinder is failing on me.

My question is this. Have any of you experienced premature failure with a recently replaced clutch master cylinder? I'm just wondering if the quality of the replacements we are getting lately are as good as the original. It seems way too early for a failure like this.

BTW, the master cylinder was purchased from one of our fantastic online retailers, and I am in no way throwing stones at them. Without these guys, we'd be pretty much screwed as far as maintaining our beloved vanagons, and I am grateful for them.

Any input anyone?

Thanks, Leo

http://members.cox.net/leolipert/DSC_0081_1.JPG