Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:14:38 -0800
From:         Markus Mumper <markusmumper@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty2.3--how do you like it?
Comments: To: RICHARD KOERNER <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

> > Can you comment on how you like the GoWesty2.3?

Hello Richard,

I had GoWesty install a rebuilt engine in my '87 Westy about 700 miles ago.

The original engine had about 200,000 miles on her (heads re-built once). I was having trouble smogging her myself and took her to GoWesty for a try. They got her smogged but told me that "clacking" noise (what I thought was persistant lifter noise) was a sign that she was about to "throw a rod".

Being the type that just does not like blowing a hole in an engine while on a trip with the wife and dogs (and also trusting in GoWesty's diagnosis) I decided to have the engine replaced.

I chose the 2.3 because it promises some ten or so horsepower and, more importantly, 15 pounds more torque at about a fifteen percent premium in price. Seems worth it. Also, I want an engine that can run well on 87 octane fuel. Other than the cost we go to Mexico now and then and this just seems a practical consideration.

Like I said, I only have 700 miles on the new engine. To be honest - I cannot tell any real difference in power between the old and new engine. But, I've also taken it pretty easy on the new one and have never really "floored" it. Of course, I never really floored the old engine either, I tend to take it easy with these machines.

I figure that the new engine is still "tight" and needs some more miles on her to loosen up a little bit, at least I hope so. Maybe some one out there has some recent experience with this? Or, maybe, the advertised increase in power is just not that noticable; time will tell.

One difference that I've really noticed between the two is that I get about three or so less miles per gallon. That's significant. I don't know how much of this is from the re-designed engine and how much is from the newness of the motor.

The funny thing is that both engines run the same and sound the same (other than the lack of clacking noise with the new engine). I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two as far as vibration or exhaust note.

Anyway, please let the list know what you've decided upon and why. And let us know how it goes.

Markus in Pismo Beach (about 20 miles from GoWesty) and the Girl ('87 2.3 GoWesty Westy)