Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2008 02:25:28 -0800
From:         M'obeechi <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM>
Subject:      Wing Vent Frames (for front glass)

I had my vent frames powder coated, and the old rubber was still good enough. Treating the rubber with 303 Protectorant made a huge (positive) difference. That stuff really is good, and I do think, much better than Armor All.

Putting the rubber back on the frame is a matter of first slipping the rubber over the upper pivot part that juts out (I drilled through the rivet that was there, and bought new rivets, which reminds me.. what sort of tool do I get to put the new rivets in?), then you need to bring the rubber firmly up into the inner top corner, and to get the vertical side of the frame fitted with the rubber, the outer side needs to be held in, while you push in the inner side. Its important to work from the top to the bottom, and (before and after) to slide-against-while-pulling, the remaining two sides, so the top and bottom corners of this vertical side have the rubber securely in place without a gap (so you're pulling along the two sides that join in the front corner, and in each case, pulling away from this front corner).

Next time I really should get all new rubber, and Volkscafe (Van Cafe -- really, maybe it should be called V-Cafe -- a plain V sounds like Vee... but without any potential trademarking conflicts of VeeDub... Its kind of abstract too, -- there's a new place in Newport Beach, called the A Market. Of course the "A" is a little fancy looking, but really, its a nice place, upscale casual, great vegtables, decent cookies) has a good deal on rubber.

I also noticed that jutted metal meant for the bottom, or lower, pivot point, on both side, is bent outward, at the bottom-rear, as if someone, sometime, had forced open the vent windows more than they were meant to be opened... and so the metal tab bent, and then the alignment of the pivot point was off enough, so that upon closing, the lower front corner of the wing glass won't close securely, and thus becomes a source of wind noise (though not the only). So I'm going to bend these tabs straight again...

In case you missed it, I've got a Rivet tool question buried in this...