Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:19:09 -0800
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stock German Mud Flaps Available Again
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

On Dec 8, 2008, at 10:38 AM, JordanVw@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 12/8/08 1:27:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM writes:

> , I scoped-out a ~90 Vanagon full Westfalia Camper with full > side-skirt cladding and the OE German Mud Flaps installed front and > rear. Taking a closer look, kneeling down in the mud to see how they > fit; the cladding was notched at the bottom to clear the mud-flaps.

first off, no full westys ever had the side skirts so they must have

been added. and whoever did it must have cut slots in the sideskirts to fit over

the german style mudflaps.    i dont know how many people would do that as the sideskirts are alot more expensive than the mudflaps :<) but it

sounds like whoever did it did a clean job. thats the reason i chose the SA mudflaps because i didnt want to cut

into the fiberglass sideskirts.. they are already prone to cracking like crazy as it is, i didnt want to weaken them further by slicing notches into them...

Thanks Chris for this info... FWIW, this was a "Canadian" Westie cuz it had the low-mounted 110VAC outlet on the drivers side. The "full" cladding was what drew my eye to this puppy! Huh... full Carrat side-skirts on a Westie? Donno if this a Canadian-Dealer thing or a one-off?

The notches in the rear bumper covers and the front side-covers, behind

the front wheels were real small... perhaps about 1/2" X 3/8". But, I can fully understand why one wouldn't want to cut those expensive pieces of Cladding.....

That's why I did this Chris: (photos stripped form the listserve) I was lusting after the fiberglass Bumpers but the cost of procuring all the bits and pieces to do a clean installation was prohibitive to this anally retentive Canadian.... I just gotta move closer to PA so I

can keep you busy supplying me with all those cool parts you keep there, down on the farm Chris!

regards