Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:14:36 -0800
From:         RICHARD KOERNER <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Trying again...GoWesty 2.3

Volks,   Since my original thread was friendly hijacked toward Tiico conversions, I'll try again...   Can anyone comment on how you like your GoWesty2.3?   I've got a 1985 1.9L  4 speed manual with 165,000 gently driven miles.  Original everything, engine wise.  All is fine so far, but alway yearning for more power.  The simplest (only?) options in California are a 2.2 Subie (mucho dollars, and who knows what else) or improved perfomance wasserboxers like where GoWesty has gone.  Zetec is not an option here, unless those guys can get it Californa Approved, and that sounds unlikely.   How do you like it?  Did you have them install, or did you have a local mechanic or yourself do the work?  What about fuel?...do you use 87 or 89 or 91 octcane?  What did the whole shebang cost?  Why the 2.3 and not the 2.4?   I don't have the skills or tools or garage space or time or desire to get in over my head by attempting to do the work myself; I'd afraid I'd just end up with a "basket case", ending up in way more frustration and money than I want to get in to.  Got to leave it to the pros.   The big issue in California is smog testing.  Getting more rigorous every year, and expensive, too.  (Cost $72 for everything, but the guy said they are going to start testing diesels next year, meaning new equipment, meaning that cost gets passed on to everyone.)   I just tested and passed a week ago; so good for 2 more years.  But I prepared in advance with some needed stuff like the fuel tank venting rework (tired of the stains on the paint outside the gas cap), a new catalytic converter (was starting to "rattle") and muffler (since cat chunks were probably inside), new O2 sensor (the 30,000 mile light came on).  Yes, passed with flying colors, in fact they were better than 2 years ago, probably mostly because of the new cat.   I'm sure there are a lot of folks here in Southern California that are going to need to make a decision on engines in the next few years or sooner, so your input will be well received.   By the way....any experience on GoWesty engines in general would be helpful; but since I've only got a 1.9, my options are somewhat limited due to the core charge.   Rich '85 Vanagon GL San Diego