Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:49:34 -0800
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: sad For Sale story on Seattle CL
Comments: To: sale-948241967@craigslist.org, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com

The same thing happened to my then brand new 1.9TD conversion in 1998. The exhaust flange broke next to the turbo and red hot exhaust was blowing right out of the turbo into the engine compartment. However all hope is not out.

In my case I was moving from Rochester to New Haven, and had the van full of stuff, it was snowing and I didn't even hear the difference when the exhaust fell off.

Luckily repairs were simple: The hot exhaust had fried the plastic on some wiring and rubber on some hoses. (I finally noticed when the vaccum hose to the brake servo burnt up... Luckily a vanagon stops relatively well w/o servo. Most newer cars don't.)

I don't regret the 1.9TD conversion. After replacing wiring and hoses, and putting on a new exhaust all was well and I have now been running it for 10 years with no other trouble.

The point of failure in my case was the exhaust flange connecting to the turbo. I had used a cheap header flange intended for V8 engines. In my current exhaust I went overboard and cut an exhaust billet out of solid stock. Took a full night on the machine shop lathe... More reasonable solution is to just have a good shop weld thick enough stainless pipe to a thick stainless flange. Also, as you suggest, supporting the myuffler in both ends is a good idea. (Though I have run with just one support at times).

I did the conversion myself so I had to fix it myself. In your case, maybe just regain composure, think through a calm line of arguments and go talk to the shop who did it. There might also be other Vanagon owners in Seattle that could help you with moral and practical support.

Martin ('82 Vanagon Westfalia with 1.9TD conversion)