Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:46:20 -0800
From:         Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuse confusion

How did you know about the burnt spot on the cover? I thought 'AHA!' when I saw that, but the fuse underneath was intact.

I did use the rear window defroster this morning, to no effect. I thought it was defective. Then the heater wouldn't blow. Then when it started snowing, the wipers wouldn't wipe. Another 'aha.'

Matt

-----Original Message----- From: David Beierl [mailto:dbeierl@gmail.com] On Behalf Of David Beierl Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 3:34 PM To: Matthew Snook Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: fuse confusion

At 05:33 PM 12/12/2008, Matthew Snook wrote: >I have an '84 waterboxer westfalia, and as of this morning I have no front >heater fan and no windshield wipers. Are these on the same circuit? None >of the fuses appear burnt or severed. What should I check next?

Bentley page 97.59, current tracks 96-105 has got what you need. The three things that will kill blower and wipers at once are the 16A fuse S12 (about third from the right or so on the panel, look under the overheated spot on the cover), the X-contact relay, and the X-contact on the ignition switch, track 25 and 39. The last two will also kill the rear window defogger.

Incidentally the high blower speed chronically overloads that circuit as well as the blower switch, better to add a circuit with a relay to drive that third speed, use the switch to control the relay.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"