Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:48:05 -0500
From:         Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>
Subject:      Bucking, runs rough, and more

On Nov 27, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Mark A Kippert wrote:

> After reading through many, MANY, posts in the archives with the same > or similar problem, it is going to be difficult to track down until I > experience the problem on a consistent enough basis to actually > trouble shoot it. >

Well, looks like it's time to ask for help. While the problem is similar to the previous one, I think this may be a different issue. I've have searched forums, archives etc. but there's almost too much out there.

SYMPTOMS: Problem is continuous. Bucking, rough running, missing badly, some backfiring through the intake. I also smelled raw (unburned) gasoline. The higher the RPM the worse it got, so I limped home about a half mile. I also noted that the low coolant light was blinking rapidly (coolant level is fine, a new water pump installed in '06. No coolant leaks).

POSSIBLE CAUSE(?): I do believe the problem is electrical and suspect issues with grounding. I think the van saw too little use over the last eight years and needs all the electrical connection cleaned. Grounds are rusty/corroded.

I started checking grounds and found two ground straps bolted together (?) from the body to engine. I traced to where it connects to the engine (under AC compressor) and it looks rusty and corroded. There is also another ground wire that looks bad and I can't figure what it goes to. It seems to go in the direction of the distributor but I can't find the other end.

I took this picture, maybe someone can identify: <http://www.kippert.com/vanagon/misc/engine-ground.jpg>

Oh yeah, the O2 sensor was new in '06 (as was the exhaust header).

MY PLAN: 1) Clean electrical connections & grounds. What I'm mostly looking for in the way of advice is the best way to clean electrical connections. Cleaning grounds are somewhat obvious but what about multi-pin connectors with rubber boots? I have electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease to apply. Is this safe?

2) I'm also going to start doing a little tapping as Ben had suggested and see what kind of response I get. I wonder if I should do this before or after cleaning (chicken or egg?)?

3) I'll also look at (and inside) the AFM if above does not seem to work.

Thanks! -Mark