Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 2008 20:02:44 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: That pesky rear hatch lock!
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>

I don't have a vanagon that has the power locks/windows, but I have had other vehicles, particularly a 4X4 Jeep Wagoneer LTD circa 1985 - one of the big wide-trac models with the big V-8 engine in it. One niiiiice vehicle, except when the power windows/locks decided to act up. The final solution was to take things apart, clean thoroughly, and lube the heck out of everything with WD 40 and spot some places with a touch of Marvels Mystery Oil - the true penetrating oil - not the top lube stuff you put in the oil or gas tank. That took care of the problem for a very long time.

Just one approach.

Remember we in the USA have gotten into the very bad habit of expecting to just jump into a vehicle, turn the switch and go - no troubles. If it refuses, we get immediately frustrated, even to the point of trading vehicles, just so we don have to deal with it, however simple the problem may be.

Gotta remember these machines are 18 years old at the very youngest. And dirt and grim are going to accumulate and require cleaning and lubing eventually, no matter what. Good maintenance is the key to long trouble free life with any machine. And a well maintained machine in the hands of a connoisseur of good vehicles is a pleasure to drive.

Once you know a Vanagon, you realize the machines were designed to be maintained. They are not the typical American "Throw-away" tin can. The genius of the engineering of these machines becomes evident as you learn them and maintain them. There are few things that are really hard or difficult on a Vanagon, when it comes to maintenance. You just have to understand them. Do that, and you will have a vehicle that you will enjoy for years. I have two, and one more coming. I don't ever plan to be without at least one, and perhaps two, since one is the daily driver, and the other for the open road. The third one - sort of a standby when the daily driver is out of service for maintenance.

My kids rag me about my vans. I told then when my time is up, strap me into the seat of one, dig a big hole in the back pasture, and roll me and it in together for the ultimate journey. Can't get any better than that! :-)

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

PB wrote: > What's its secret? Sometimes it locks when I lock the front door, and other > times it doesn't lock requiring me to lock it manually with the key. I can > never figure out when it's going to lock when I lock the front door! And > then, when it does lock, I can't unlock it with the key, and have to unlock > the front door in order for the hatch to unlock! > > I'm just now starting to "master" the ventilation sliders! I have a "cheat > sheet" in my console! > > Patti > Still a newbie after 1 1/2 yrs with her 90 Westy automatic! > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > + To unsubscribe from the Vanagon List send an e-mail to > + listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with SIGNOFF VANAGON > + in the body of the message. > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > >