Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:18:51 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Crankshaft oil seal & holding that pulley
Comments: To: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA>

and Pascal, how did you hold the pulley and crankshaft from turning ?............. ( with engine on the floor perhaps you used an ordinary flywheel locking tool ) I believe that's one of the original poster's main concerns - how to hold it from turning while wrenching on the big bolt there. He asked about using bolts to hold the pulley from turning .......'yes' ......whatever way you can find to hold that sucker from turning while you put a pretty big breaker bar and maybe cheater bar on it. Just be real careful how you do it, so not to damage anything. another way is lower the rear of the engine some ( VERY easy to do actually - 4 bolts ) ......remove the muffler, and use an impact gun on the crank pulley. That's likely how I'd do it.........but then I also end up restoring the muffler and gaskets, inspecting in the cat to make sure it looks good etc.... my projects all grow that way, from addressing everything in the area, including all rust I see to treat and stop, and treat to prevent in the future )

I would also advise to be darn sure that's where the leak is.......the 'front' ........( flywheel end is called the Rear Main Seal ) .....the front crankshaft oil seal - I almost never see them leaking. I have occasionally replaced the seal on a whole engine re-do and re-seal.........my point is, just be sure that's what your real problem is, before you do digging in there cause it's not an extra common leak point.

also.......sometimes it's not 'just the seal' as Pascal alludes too. There can be a groove worn in the pulley sealing surface ( I have many good used waterboxer crank pulleys for sale, if anyone needs a good one ) ..............In all oil seal leakage situations.......sometimes that's just the tip of the iceberg...... possible contributing causes can be the crank is loose in the main bearings, or has excessive end play, and excessive crankcase pressure, from a plane ole worn engine. You can check end play on any engine, just by pushing in and out on the front crank pulley. If there's a lot ,,,,,,,,,,that's not a good sign of course.

one other funny thing.......I have seen about 2,000 individual ways that VW engines, particularly all the opposed 4 cylinder aluminum ones ( all air-cooled and all waterboxer ) ............it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see yet another failure mode that I've never encountered in a waterboxer engine before.......VW uniquely is somehow able to have many, many different failure modes in their engines.

I hope it goes well, and your oil leak is fixed for good. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 5:59 AM Subject: Re: Crankshaft oil seal

I just removed that rear crank seal last week, but the engine was on the floor. Getting that pulley bolt off required a lot of leverage with a cheater bar and a 1/2" breaker bar. I hade to bounce on the bar with my 160lbs body to get it loosened. I actually put protective goggles on as I was afraid my breaker bar was going to break. I cannot possibly imagine doing that with the motor in the van...but it's obviously possible with the right tools. As to getting the pulley off, mine came off fairly easily with a big screwdriver and prying on sides of the pulley, alternating from side to side.

BTW, my pulley had a small grove worn in it from the seal...so a new seal alone may not solve the leak.

Pascal '84 Westy