Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:05:29 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weight Distribution
Comments: To: M'obeechi <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM>

There are so many 'urban myths' it's funny. re "Someone once told me, one bad thing about 911's was that you can loose control if you're not careful... is that the result of handling too well?"

There's no such thing as a car 'handling too well'..............really, really good cars do EXACTLY what you tell them to, in any circumstances almost. I.e. ..........they just go where you point them, Early 911's did have significant oversteer for sure. And the tires of the 60's were nothing compared to what we have avaiable now. There are some early versions of 911's that I've read about having weights added behind the front bumper to reduce the oversteer affect..........this would be early models from the late 60's............I don't know if that's true about wieghts from the factory being installed behind the front bumper, but Road & Track Magazine said that, and they are quite repsonsible about what they write.

The 911 is still being develeoped and is one of the very longest running mdoel of cars in the world. They have it so well developed now, that Porsche has to be careful their mid-engine newer model cars don't out perform the almighty flagship 911..

Another factor...........the conring and handling limits on a car like that........a more modern well-deveopled ( not talking a skinnytire 1968 say, 911 ) car has such high limits that you can seldom get near the limits on the street. You can crash them of course.............but well developed cars just do go where you point them pretty much no matter what . A typical driver will run out of ability before the car does, for really decent well-developed cars. But it's all fun. Now we're up to 700 and even 1,000 hoursepower in very high end performance street cars. A 500 hp performance street car is low-end these days even ! A Porsche, especially Ruf ...............a master tuner in Germany who makes hyper high-end performance street cars based on 911's.........his latest, the Ruf CTR3 has a 239 mph top speed, twin turbo's and 700 hp, yet only a 3.7 liter engine. Crazy. But a nicely-upgraded Vanagon is WAY more fun and useful of course ! scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "M'obeechi" <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:20 AM Subject: Re: Weight Distribution

Wonder how much all that AW stuff weights. Could you remove it and weight it for me?

I don't think you flashbacking, everyone says the loafs drove better in the sand and snow, with its weight more to the rear... though someone here once claimed that if too many sandbags are placed to the rear, you can spin a donut in wet weather, unexpectly of course.

From: "miguel pacheco" <mundopacheco@gmail.com> To: M'obeechi <obeechi@runbox.com> Subject: Re: Weight Distribution

----- End Original Message -----