Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:02:57 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: ADMINISTRIVIA - Please trim your replies
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM>

This is all very interesting. and I seem to have gotten more than my share of "Administravia" messages in recent months, but I'll chance it again.

I see this group as a community, and as such the threads of thought are going to weave back and forth like sea grass blowing in the breeze - and that's OK, and even desirable. Eventually even the grass tends to right itself as the breeze behind the weaving and bobbing slows. We all know the rules of decent conduct. Say one's piece, non-aggressively, and let it lie. We all have differing experiences, different viewpoints, different expertise, different interests. I see this group as a wheel rolling down the road chased by a kid (Administrator) with a big stick(Administravia). When the wheel gets to far off track, a whack with the stick is all that is needed to get the wheel back on track. I don't believe it so necessary to keep the subject matter cut clean to the Vanagon bone. That's like having a Vanagon party and nobody being allowed to talk ball games, computers, the quality of the beer or the ladies, or anything else of interest. At the core is always the Vanagon - all the other stuff that we get into - computers, airplanes, other kinds of cars, our kids our significant-others, whatever - is just icing on the cake. It increases the richness of the experience. I would hate to see this lost as the reigns are tightened - and easily could be.

Also - sometimes I pick up on a thread somewhere down the line instead of with the beginning post. It's nice to be able to get the whole discussion on one page.

Finally - are we to be permitted to wish all a "Merry Christmas" this year? I like doing that a couple of days before Christmas Day.

And yet finally again, am I being obnoxious with my questions and concerns here? Gad, I hope not. But if so, then my testosterone replacement therapy must really be kicking in. I have noticed of late that the ladies seem to think I am looking at them with more twinkle in my eye than usual!. ;-)

My $0.02 this evening.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Jim Arnott wrote: > Admin pet peeve: > > I just scanned today's posting and of the Re: messages, many of them > contained the entire thread. > > Please folks, trim the excess off. If your reply still has the > vanagon list footer on it, you haven't. Most of us have been > following the threads in which we're interested. We do not need every > word that's ever been written on the subject in your reply for > context. We already KNOW the context! All it does is fill up the > archives with redundant information. Please remove all but that to > which you are replying. > > I occasionally forget as well, but at least I try. Some of you aren't > trying. > > If you need instruction on how to do so, please p-mail me. > > Thank you. > > Jim Arnott > List Admin > vanagon@gerry > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > + To unsubscribe from the Vanagon List send an e-mail to > + listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with SIGNOFF VANAGON > + in the body of the message. > ------------------------------------------------------------ > >