Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:05:25 -0600
From:         Sunshine <vwbusgirl@KC.RR.COM>
Subject:      '89 Vanagon Not Starting

Hey Now Volks,

I hope this finds you happy and warm. :o) I'm having some seemingly major issues w/ my 1989 Vanagon and I don't know who else to go to for advice as we have no VW mechanics in the area that will even talk to me, let alone give me a hand w/ her.

Basically I ran out of gas last week, even though the gauge read 1/4 tank. I had AAA give me 2 gallons and went and filled it up. Total gallons to top her off was 9 gallons. I thought she had a 16 gallon tank? Anyway the next day she wouldn't start at all.

The ignition turns over but no firing. There is voltage and compression, just no start.

I had her towed to a friend of the family's house who works on american cars. We set the timing, checked the compression, made sure plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. were all good, all connections are good, charged battery. Still no start. When I replaced the fuel filter she did sputter though.

Could have something to do w/ me running out of gas and the sediment that was in the fuel tank possibly clogged the fuel injectors? Or could it be the fuel pump, or perhaps the fuel pressure regulator?

I do have a parts bus I can take the fuel tank out of and treat it and replace mine, then do the fuel lines. I'm just not sure which direction to go from here?

The vanagon's exhaust is basically non-existant and I have a total new one waiting to go on her, I just don't want to do that until I have her starting. Could the cold have caused this as she ran pretty well before Kansas weather got bitter cold?!

Any advice, suggestions, experience are Gratefully welcomed as I am at a loss.

Peace and Love, Sunshine Bonner Springs, KS 1974 Transporter Bus "Buddy" 1989 'Wolfsburg Edition' Vanagon GL "Stella Blue" 1987 Vanagon GL "Parts Bus"