Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Dec 2008 00:27:36 -0500
From:         Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>
Subject:      Update: Rough idle problem solved

Just thought I'd give an update on my idle problem as it may come in handy for those searching the archives trying to solve the same.

It turns out the connector that I could not identify goes to the idle stabilization control unit as Mark D had pointed out in Bentley page 24.54. The wire is supposed to exit the wiring harness which then goes into a connector. It then goes back into the harness. My problem was that one end of the wire had frayed and broke right where it came out of the sleeve of the harness. Initially I never saw the nub. When I saw the illustration in Bentley I knew to take a closer look at the harness.

I had to cut the harness back to expose enough wire. After repairing it and reconnecting I started the engine up. Success! The idle was a bit rough for a few seconds but smoothed right out.

One note. A number of people checked there vans and didn't see the same connector. Turns out it was moved to the right side of the engine compartment after 9/87.

Thanks to all who offered help and suggestions!

-Mark