Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:00:01 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: ADMINISTRIVIA - Letter of resignation
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

Hello Mr. J Stewart ! I'm so sorry to hear you sold your vanagon ! Let's just hope there is a much better one in your near future ! If I can help in any way on that.........would be glad to. Not trying to make a sale here, but I have numerous vanagons I'm re-doing throughout and they're for sale. Quite decent ones too, usually no rust, and minimal dents, and everything checked out and working from one end to the other.

There are some tricks to vanagon rear brakes. I wouldn't expent anyone who hasn't done a few drum brake jobs to be able to just jump into vangon rear brakes and have it be a breeze for them. what I meant to comment on .........is someone who doesnt' offer enough information for someone else to be able to help them. And, I regcongize that that just might be where they are at at the time. But hopefully.......people will be able to say 'this is my problem, I checked this, I checked that, etc........where should I go next ? "...... that is a very 'helpable' kind of post. As they provide less and less information, it gets much harder to help them, and of course.........no body is expected to be a whizz at something new to them...... but .......anyway.........the more information a person provides, the better we can help them, let's just say that.

So what kind of vanagon do you have in mind for your next one !? They are totally magic versitle useful wonderful vehicles. Let's save everyone we can. They are not being made anymore after all.

oh......for sure, any comments that someone is an idiot becaue they don't how something works is completely counterproductive and harmful. We all didn't even know how to talk or walk once upon a time. Everyone starts on the learning curve wherever they start. Hopefully they will 'help us help them' though - by providing good info. And for sure, a guy with a family, little time, no clean garage to work in ..........yes, they would be far more challenged owning a vanagon than a single person with a decent shop and expereince, so if they don't know something, or.....heck........can't even get a clear mind for a few hours to think about it deeply........they rightly deserve extra patience and support. I would never say 'you shouldn't be owning a vanagon' .........but I would always say that vanagons require good care and understanding. They ain't no toyota or ford. They require proper care and understanding for sure. Great vans though ! M\erry holidaze to all.

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:32 AM Subject: Re: ADMINISTRIVIA - Letter of resignation

I think what we have here is a lack of understanding. Yes, I have seen stupid questions posted here, and have posted a few myself. What some folks need to understand is that not all our lives are the same. If you are a Vanagon expert in the business, are retired or independently wealthy and don't work, or are single and have no kids, be tolerant of the poor slob with kids, a wife, and working 60+ hours a week who is yeah, asking a question without researching it first. This person may be lucky to get an hour or two during the week to work on their Vanagon. Maybe they shouldn't own a Vanagon and buy a Honda or Toyota mini van. I remember about a year ago a person asking how to remove the window crank. I laughed to myself, thinking here is guy who should NOT own a Vanagon, but I didn't publicly (or privately) rip him a new a**hole either. You know the annoying rear brake clips/springs on Vanagons? Those started back in the Bay window days, but were dropped on later Bays, only to return later, maybe with the Vanagon, I'm not sure. Back when I had a Bay and was on the type2 list, I asked a question about why mine was missing those clips. I immediately got a response from a listee telling me that I was an idiot who had no business working on brakes. I also got a response from Sean Bartnik telling me not to worry, my year Bay didn't have them. Not only did I do a successful brake job, not long after I replaced the entire front suspension, including the beam, on a '77 Bay all by myself. I am grateful to the more experienced listees who offer their assistance here, as I have been helped by many of them. But I have also searched way back in the archives and have found that long, long ago a few of the current experts asked some pretty simple questions themselves. I even saw one message where ************* (most of you know who I am talking about) admitted it took him TWO YEARS to find a vacumm leak. In closing, I sold my Vanagon about 3 weeks ago, and I am deeply regretting it. I'm still here because I just can't let go. Happy Holidays everyone! Jeff

>re Ben's comment......... >that's funny, I used to think a year or 3 ago that this group was populated >by a lot of very clueless vanagon owners ( like ....'ah, it runs lousy, >where do I start ? ) ( when they don't even know what a distributor is, >say ) ........

Oh, by the way, the guy I sold my Vanagon to did not know what an ECU is, so you all may be hearing from him!!