Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:52:58 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      ETKA_7 -  File Sharing and File Servers

With the thread about downloading ETKA-7 going on, I am posting this just for further information. It is a bit of a different subject however.

There are two free software programs that can be downloaded from the internet to handle files. One is a file server called Filezilla Client, and the other is called Filezilla Server.

Filezilla Client is a nice FTP program that works well for uploading and downloading files to and from a server on the internet.

Filezilla Server is server software that can be installed o your computer at home and used to allow others to upload and download directly to your personal computer. This allows the transfer of big files that otherwise are difficult to manage any other way short of putting it on a DVD and mailing it off to someone.

Once installed, you can set up a client account for anyone, which includes a UserID and a Password, and with that, they can log onto your computer directly to their account folder and download whatever file(s) you have put there for them. If you give certain other permissions, files can also be erased after download, and files can be uploaded. If you assign individual accounts you control who gets on your computer. You can also set up an anonymous account which will allow anyone to log onto your computer. I simply don't do that . It's use is restricted to friends, and associates I know. This system works really well. On my computer, data packets must pass through two different firewalls, so files are checked thoroughly for viruses, etc, both going and coming.

I have friends in a number of other countries and we send files back and fourth this way all the time. It works really well. S9ometimes it's a little slow on their end due to technical limitations sometimes, as they don''t all have broadband, but other than that, it works great.

So, with Filezilla, upon request, I can upload a file, set an account, e-mail the account info - INCLUDING my numerical IP address - to the requester and the requester can log on, download, and copy it to a CD/DVD. It's done.

I have done this with some Vanagon List members and it works well.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Regards,

John