Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:40:25 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Towing a Vanagon
Comments: To: Mark A Kippert <vanagon@kippert.com>

I recently went to tow a 1980 automatic camper that had been sitting for 15 years, and found the only good way to do it was with a 4 wheeled car hauler. People suggested that if i were to use a tow dolly with an automatic i'd have to remove the driveshafts completely and have the rear end on the ground, as putting it in neutral won't cut it with these automatics, and towing with the front wheels dragging isn't safe due to the inadequacy of the steering lock system which could and has left people with the vehicle in tow suddenly gaining it's own sense of control. These were the observations i came up with when i posed this question to the list some months ago however, my own observations make it even more clear that a tow dolly for a 2 hour journey probably wouldn't be wise. First off, it's been sitting for 2 years, the brakes might be shot, which will make the whole thing far less fun to tow (and even get to the trailer). Furthermore, with a full car hauler you have better weight distribution and in my case, built in trailer brakes which i couldn't imagine towing without! Even if it was only a hydrolic tounge brake on a uhaul trailer, with the hills we have here in pittsburgh PA and towing behind a 1500 suburban, it just wouldn't seem wise with anything less. While i know you CAN tow with less, heck i recently saw a picture of a westy being towed behind a syncro, a couple hours on the highway with a tow bar attached to the front bumper, i really don't feel it's the way to do it. It seemed questionable enough in my situation.

My advice is spend the $60 and get the flatbead trailer from Uhaul for a day. It made it easy (Built in winch for getting the car on the trailer!)

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY