Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:19:58 -0800
From:         James Ballen <jamosb78@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaking in the rain

Scott et al,

I would guess that this is the kit that Joy has installed: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=578890

Many van owners have installed them, including myself.

The pivot point attaches the stock pivot point with a supplied bolt-on bracket, and then the other end is a couple feet forward, as you can see in the pictures.

I don't have anything on my roof, so I'm using the regular-duty strength shocks, but I'd guess that with a kayak up top that Joy is using the heavy-duty strength shocks that Mark offers. I've had mine installed through a few rain storms, and so far have experienced zero leaking, and the top appears no different as far as being pushed upward.

They are a simple, fantastic upgrade...although water coming in is a big problem. Best of luck figuring out what's going on there...wish I could help.

/james '86 westy wolfy

-------------- >Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:17:00 -0800 >From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> >Subject: Re: leaking in the rain > >Depending on where the pivot points for the assist struts are located, >determines whether they supply 'up pressure' when the top is down. >If the pivot points are located cleverly........ >there can be almost zero up pressure with the top down...... >I don't think there is room, geometrically, speaking to do this........I >think one pivot would need to be below the level of the top......but it >could even be made to go over center so it's pulling the top down when the >top is down, yet still supply plenty of up force when the top is up. >Scott