Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:35:18 -0800
From:         Dug Smith <dug@DUGBERT.COM>
Subject:      Re: changing pop-top canvas
Comments: To: dj <djct2@YAHOO.COM>

> My first question is which canvas to buy.

I bought the old one window Bus Depot one. Then managed to tear it drilling a hole in my pop top (the drill grabbed the piece of wood I was using to stop me tearing the canvas, and spun, tearing the canvas), so I have another (three window this time) BD tent in the garage waiting for warmer weather when I'll remount it.

> Gowesty also has an acrylic canvas for $480.

I've heard reports that that's too stiff, and a pain to deal with, so I went for canvas.

> I have screw type mounting not the staple type.

Are you sure? My '85 is staples - it's on the top, not the bottom. There are slots that have wooden dowels in them that the tent staples to.

If you're interested in the Euro version, look in the BD clearance section - they had one in there for under $300 when I was looking, but I think it's a staple type. And remember to use the 5% list discount. And the double dip discount if that's still applicable.

> Also ease of installation would be very important.

I read the instructions, then ignored them :o) As I was on my own for the install, I took out all the mounting stuff, cut the old tent out, then unbolted the front roof supports one at a time to get the tent over them (make sure it's the right way up). Then I stapled the new tent in to the roof, then screwed the bottom mountings in. It's a pain, but not nearly as hard as taking the whole pop top off. It's a few hours of concerted effort.

toodle pip, -- Dug Smith | Terry Pratchett: It's almost (mailto:dug@dugbert.com) | impossible to ride a rock and roll (http://www.dugbert.com) | motorbike and stay on for three verses.