Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:04:30 -0800
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: changing pop-top canvas
Comments: To: dj <djct2@yahoo.com>

Dear Top Changer

this operation has been completed successfully many times by those with extensive experience --if there are instructions included with your purchase -- follow them -- especially if the instructions come from bus depot or gowesty these are reputable vanagon business that specialize in doing what others are unable to do indeed often what others are capable of but for a variety of reasons choose not to -- i have experience with gowesty right on their lot... excellent to really friggin excellent -- my only experience with Bus Depot is reading about their various adventures with people who populate this list and so far remarks seem to be very good... if you are going to debate less than 50$ in price between two venders -- make sure you adress any hidden costs -- like what is included in one that may not be included in the other -- shipping? taxes? insurance? returnability? ... ?... ? ... ? (i am only posing the question for you to ask in your own research-- in my own experiance know that different retailers can vary as much as 150 $ for the same item bit it took me an afternoon of phone calls to discover this detail and that indeed i was comparing apples to apples and not to oranges)

Now regarding doing the canvas change --- I have done this on an older model .. 1969 Bun I converted to westie with salvaged parts -- you need to be slim ... not greater than a 38 waist i would imagine .. you need to be able to move around in tight conditions and do so after repeatedly dropping your tools or bits or screws .. or what ever -- Without becoming riled up or discontent-- take frequent breaks-- it helps to have a helper who is intuitive and able to retrieve items you drop with a minimium of snide remarks -- have an awl with you to prepunch the hole to prevent screws from catching threads and unraveling your expensive bit of canvas... Your new purchase may come with screws and strips to mount it ... but put a couiple of staples in to hold it while you get screws ready -- this is called tacking it in place ... if you do not have a screw and drive bi that are magnetic ... simple use a piece of electricians tape to hold the screw on the bit while you place it and start it --- use the most important mechanics rule other than orderly patience -- back tracking your progress to ensure proper installation--- if it does not fit and it is predesigned to fit ... retrace steps to see where you have errored in your assembly -- and yes you may have to retrace all the way back to shipment recieved and order sent .. people can error almost anywhere -- so before you crawl into the tight unyeilding space between between the dancer and his cane, between the sailboat and the drain, between the newsreel and your tiny pain (leonard Cohen )-- -- -- check that you have the right item for the job and the right tools as listed -- it will save you a world of grief good luck yours

-- roger w There are two kinds of jobs in the world: Picking up garbage and telling people things. Successful people do both, with the same good attitude. (riw) ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364