Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:00:54 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon seam rust repair
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com>

ok ......... here's my short version. I have tricks too for where there is actually a hole through something...........but this is for surface body rust ........or even frame surface rust, etc. :

first I hit the spot with a wire brush wheel on a Mikita disc grinder ( takes 3 seconds on a one inch diameter spot ) - or I just use a small hand wire brush.... then I spray it with 'rust neutralizer' ........... or use brush on rust neutrailizer............the stuff that says 'turns rust into paintable primer' so if I power wire brush it, then spray that spot with a spray can ............that can be under 10 seconds.

later when that's dry, I might paint it. if I really want to get nutty, after the rust conversion stuff dries, then I spray the spot with self-etching primer . ( or use a small brush ) when that's dry, I put any paint I want on top of that. If it's an extereior body part...........and I can get the exact right shade of paint by paint code......... that's a very solid repair.

that's 4 easy steps for a full repair ..........wire brush, put rust converter on, prime it, paint it. And thin coats of the rust converter or the primer paint dry pretty quicky in good conditions. I just do other stuff for a while while waiting for the rust converter or primer to dry. Sometimes 20 minutes is enough.

" more " : I might use a heat gun to dry and warm things if conditions are cool and damp, or but a 500 watt work light near the spot if it's cool and damp. I do most of my creative work at ngiht. It's just so much more peaceful then.

oh.....primer ............sure makes a difference. Makes the final coat go on MUCH better . And the stuff in the srpay can that says 'self-etching primer' .............I find that works really well as a primer. it's light green in color. works great. And if you can get the exact color of touch up paint by color code, for spots that show......you can almost 'dissappear' a bad spot. Underneath the van, I use whatever color seems right .............light gray for example. Sometimes I use spray paint in a can that says 'rust stop paint' on the can. Warming a can of spray paint in warm water really helps too. Just don't overdo it ! I got one can way too hot a long time ago.............shaking it, the bottom of the can blew out spewing paint everywhere ! They don't seem to srpay right if too hot either..............just warmed up nicely. For tiny spots where spray isn't right..........I just spray some of the paint from the srpay can into the cap for the can, then dip a tiny brush in that, and apply by brush. I find myself restoring at least as much as repairing. Kinda 'art work' that way. Very rewarding.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "miguel pacheco" <mundopacheco@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 7:30 PM Subject: Re: vanagon seam rust repair