Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:21:12 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon seam rust repair
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>

those that thing I just posted was for spot rust repair. Seem rust is nasty. I fixed one pretty solidly recently though. That horizontal seam on the left side of the van .........about a foot up from the bottom......... I could push in on that and make a two foot long gap where the two parts weren't touching.

I used something to hold them apart. I think I jammed wooden rods from the side of the shop against one part of the seem , to hold the gap open. Then I did the 'rust prep' treatment I just described......... clean to bare metal pretty much....mainly just get the loose stuff gone, and then treat that metal with either spray or brush-on rust converter. let that dry. then............for gluing the two panels back together......... Karl Mullendore turned me onto this stuff...........Duramax 4525 .......a two part adhesive for metal. Kinda expensive. Need to buy the tool that holds the two tubes ........it's like a small double caulking gun. Then a double tube is 45 bucks of this stuff ! and you need to buy some plastic mixing tubes that plug on the front of the 'gun.'

You put a patch of metal over a hole with that stuff..........you will Never get that patch off, unless you grind it off. This is space ship grade metal adhesive. Must be a 1,000 lbs per sq. inch tensile strength. It's fast curing too. If you put the gun down for just a few minutes, it'll start curing in the mixing tube. so toss that mixing tube and put on another..... and I'm able toget several jobs out of the double tubes, clean things with accetone, and then later get more jobs out of that one double tube This stuff is perfect for replacing metal say, in a rusted out car floor. Super perfect.

anyway............after the rust coverter dried in that seam , I filled the gap with Duramax 4525 mix, let the two parts close back together. then wiped the spot flush . I should/could have cleaned ou the seam so it looked more original........but in the overall 'whatever' of the situation, I just cleaned it off flush.

When that was cured, I primed it, then touched it up with the exact paint color by paint code. "It ain't going anywhere." That was all from the outside. Treating the inside of that wall would be the next really good thing to do. But defenitley get rust converter stuff in spray cans and brush-on and start appying it on all rusty spots.

last line......... here's how to really get way way back in the back recesses of a rusty area. I did this with Osphro.........watch out with this stuff............it eats concrete ! But it etches metal and stops rust solidly. Comes in a gallon jug of liquid from the hardware store. For a squirter I used a 'water pic' .........for cleaning your teeth...... Has ittle electric pump, the body is about the size of a handheld land line phone, the juice goes in the body of the device..................whatever juice you are spraying comes out in a fine stream, and shoots a long way. I used this to get at least two feet up inside my Mercedes Benz car frame rails.......way back in there inside the frame rails, where it had rusted over 38 years........ and especially when I was in Sausalito, Ca for 13 years...... the parking lot would flood with saltwater a few inches deep a couple of times a month, that poor old sweet good car.

what fun preseving and restoring our fine so-loved vehicles ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "miguel pacheco" <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 7:30 PM Subject: Re: vanagon seam rust repair