Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:18:59 -0800
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant light / temp sensor - need advice please!
Comments: To: mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Hi, Joy! I had this problem this past summer, AFTER having the radiator replaced. Before it was replaced, the light didn't come on, but the mechanic claimed that the radiator was about to go out, so I let him replace it. The light usually went on between 5 and 20 minutes after I started driving, so that's why the mechanic kept thinking it was fixed.

I took the van back to the (German car) mechanic around 6 times, and he still didn't manage to fix it! The mechanic replaced the sensors twice, and tried several other "tweaks." (He tried his best, and really DID want to fix it, but after 6 times, I took it to a WESTY mechanic, and didn't say anything to the first mechanic. (He DID do a few EXTRAS at no charge, which made up for not fixing the light problem.)

The WESTY mechanic diagnosed the problem right away: a hairline crack in the radiator cap. He said that because of the crack, the fluid wasn't circulating properly, and I really COULD have ruined the engine. (I only drove it to and from the service station, so luckily it wasn't harmed.) The first mechanic claimed that it wasn't a problem, because just like you said, there WAS fluid in both reservoirs. It's a good thing I didn't listen to him.

Since the new radiator cap, I've taken it on a 500 mile round trip, and right now I'm in Arizona, which is 400 miles from home. So far no problems whatsoever!

I believe we both have the same model and color Westy, so maybe you only have to replace the radiator cap!