Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:25:25 -0800
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Two bolts to mount the alternator bracket to the engine block
              are              just plain missing!
Comments: To: Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>

There are two nuts, one large and one small. The large one is for a bolt for attaching the engine and the transmission together. This bolt is one of the 4 such bolts and is also used for attaching the starter. The smaller nut is for mounting the starter to the transmission on a small stud on the transmission case.

If the small nut stud are missing the starter is holding on by the big bolt that is holding the transmission, the engine and the starter together. If this bolt and nut are also missing I think the starter will fall off. The engine is then held up by 3 remaining bolts. I believe these bolts have nuts in either 17 or 19 mm nuts. Not sure about the size of the smaller nut and stud.

David

--- On Fri, 12/26/08, Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM> wrote: From: Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Two bolts to mount the alternator bracket to the engine block are just plain missing! To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Friday, December 26, 2008, 1:43 PM

Hello folks,

Quick question. My alternator was wiggling. The bracket under the alternator mounts to the engine block with 2 bolts (maybe). Both of these are missing, maybe they just worked themselves out, maybe a prior mechanic forgot lock washers. I looked in the Bentley and it doesn't provide a spec. Even worse the Bentley shows that there are supposed to be 2 studs that the bracket mounts on with 2 nuts! Hey, I got no studs there. I am happy to replace them with bolts, if I can find the right size, but please tell me if this would be a bad idea.

But mainly I need the thread size for these studs/ bolts. I measured a hole of about 25mm, and the bracket is about 10 mm, so I think a length of about 30-35 mm should do, assuming another 2-4 mm for lock washers.

Thank you very much. Roland '89 Syncro.