Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:50:23 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help--Stuck in Mammoth Lakes
Comments: To: john schaper <tahljohn@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

well...........manual trans means you can push start !!! great to hear there's severe snow.

here's a trick.............you need to be under the van to do it........ and I imagine conditions are nasty, and if you jack up the right rear corner, be real careful getting under there !!! I use ski boots for wheel cocks in an emergency. Have someone turn the key to the start position, and whack the starter on the side of its body with a hammer....... a sharp whack. This will often make the starter work one more time. It's also a diagnostic procedure............if this happens, the starter is definitely tired or weak or bad. Then I'd skidaddle towards home, and push start at gas stations after fueling up.

and...........really Everyone really SHOULD carry a Remote Starter Switch ! ( heck, buy one at the nearest FLAPS in the morning ......a very standard too that you really should have, even for mantenance and repair use. ) I don't drive ANYWHERE without mine on board. In addition to that, you rig a wire in your engine compartment from the starter 'trigger terminal' on the solenoid. I usually make it long enough so I can touch it to the hot post on the alternator..... this gives you a 'whole other and shorter circuit' to trigger the starter with.

I sometimes add a dedicated generic starter button on the dash right above the light switch too, with nice fat wires directly from the battery to the starter. The stock electrical part of the ignition switch is really a Mickey mouse underbuilt little thing, and you should always carry a spare one of those two. this part could be your problem too. Not even an expensive part. And if you have to.............you just unplug the wire connector under the ignition switch, and pop on your spare electric part of the Ign Switch.......and operate it with a screw driver until you get to a good place to replace it properly.

I wouldn't dream of driving a 24 year old vanagon to the snowy Sierras without a whole slew of spare parts and some tools. And given how small the electrical part of the ignition switch is, how easily they can be weak, and how inexpensive they are, and how easy it is to plug a new one temporarily .........that for sure is one spare part you should have in your parts stash under the back seat !

hope you get going soon ! I've had my vangon issues on ski trips at Mammoth too. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "john schaper" <tahljohn@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 6:22 PM Subject: Help--Stuck in Mammoth Lakes

Something's wrong and its not the battery. Drove up here Thur, with severe snow, etc. No problems. Went to start the 84 vanagon today--nothing. Charged the battery and the symptom persists. Manual transmission. I don't hear a clicking sound, but there is a humming noise. My guess is that when I drove here, things got wet--but don't know what things. Can anyone suggest troubleshooting. THe engine won't even grind, so its not fuel and its not the battery.