Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:19:39 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: changing pop-top canvas
Comments: cc: dj <djct2@YAHOO.COM>

> My first question is which canvas to buy. I see one on eBay > for $314 and they say it is manufactured by Acme. Gowesty > is made by Acme also and $360. Gowesty also has an acrylic > canvas for $480. > Bus depot has two canvases. One type is priced at from > $260-$280. This canvas is said to be made in Europe and > a close match to the original. The other canvas they have is > $399 and is manufactured by the original maker. One strange > thing I've found out about the bus depot canvas when speaking with > someone who has replaced many canvases. this person told me > that a customer came in with a bus depot canvas and wanted > him to install it. He said that the bus depot canvas that > this person brought in had the same label on it has the Acme > canvases that he has installed before. So that's kind of > confusing. I would be willing to pay the extra money for the > original canvas if I knew it was that much better than the > less expensive one.

We sell several canvas options for the Vanagon. Our most popular ones are the low priced one we import from Europe, and the genuine German OEM Westfalia one. The former is our best seller, and much nicer than the Acme one in my opinion. It is a better fit and it looks MUCH closer to stock. However, it is designed like the earlier-style OEM canvas in that it does not have a beading up top. If you use it on a late model that screws in on the poptop end, you would still do it the same way, even without the beading. Despite this difference, many have been in use for years and the canvas does stay in place just fine that way. This canvas gets you most of the way to OEM quality for a much lower price, and is definitely the best value-for-dollar out there.

The OEM German one is simply the best you can buy. Materials, zippers, stitching, etc. are all original quality. This canvas should last you as long as the original did, which is to say probably longer than you will keep your Vanagon. Given the work involved in replacing a canvas, there is much to be said about using the best quality replacement you can find, and this is definitely it. When it comes time to replace my own poptop canvas, I personally will settle for nothing less than this.

We also sell Sunbrella/acrylic canvas, for those who insist on that material. It is the same one everyone else sells (so the one that your installer reference must have been this one), except that our price is a bit lower. Sunbrella's main claim to fame is that it won't fade after long-term continuous exposure to strong sunlight. On a boat sitting in the water with constant reflected sunlight, that can be an issue - much less so on a Westy, whose top is not open constantly and there is no reflected sunlight. On the negative, acrylic is stiffer, making the poptop harder to fold in and close. There is no real-world advantage to acrylic over the OEM material for a poptop canvas, and the price is higher. Therefore I personally see no reason to recommend it, although we do offer it for those who feel differently.

We also sell original ASI/Riviera, Country Homes, and Eurovan Winnebago canvas.

You can find all of your options here:

http://busdepot.com/details/canvas.jsp

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com