Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:12:15 -0800
From:         Michael Diehr <md03@XOCHI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlight swtich diagnostics?
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Ok, more info:

I'm 99% sure it's not the headlight switch, as I've isolated the problem : when I short across connector 30 to 58b (instrument panel lite dim), instead of getting instrument panel lights, some of the LEDs light up. If I do this while the engine is running, then the tach and clock go dead.

According to Bentley page 97.63, this current track goes as follows:

terminal 30 on headlight switch to terminal 58b on headlight switch via the dimmer Fuse S13 Track 68 (cigarette lighter light) Track 67 (blower fan control lever light) (to a mysterious circle labeled 22) to the instrument panel lights via T14 connector 1 out to instrument panel ground via T14 connector 3 To ground, labeled 16

If I had to guess, I'd guess that Ground #16 is bad. However, there is no ground #16 listed in benteley on page 97.60.

I checked and cleaned the other grounds (including ground #10 the star connector above the fuse box -- however my van only has one star connector there).

Any idea where ground "16" lives?