Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:55:42 -0800
From:         Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Blackbeard Comes Home! (With questions)
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com, wet Westies <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

After nearly two months, the new-and-improved (well, repaired and repainted, at least) Blackbeard finally came home today!

Goes without saying - definitely a sight for sore eyes!

When all was said and done, aside from the damage repairs and new paint he also had the axles and windshield replaced, AC repaired, and the impossibly-mounted trailer hitch assembly removed. Then next week(ish), I'm taking him back in to have the Euro Smoked lights installed (they were on back order), the antenna replaced and the grilles painted (some construction jokers were unloading a truck right behind the van and ended-up scratching the new paint on the bumper in 4 different places, so since it's going back in for a touch-up anyway, they said they take care of the grilles for free).

All in all I'm extremely happy to have the van BACK and in one piece - and WITHOUT a salvage title! I do have a couple of questions though, and I'd love some expert feedback....

MY QUESTIONS:

1) The rubber stripping on the windshield is (according to the mechanic and body shop) still in great condition - nice and soft, supple, and with no tears.... Problem is that there is all kinds of wind noise now! Is this normal when replacing a windshield?

I had the windshiled replaced in my '87 about 10 years ago and don't remember hearing any difference. And then the obvious question - what can I do about it (short of purchasing new stripping - which is spendy)?

2) There's now a new crack on the plastic speedo 'window', right in front of the fuel gauge in the lower right-hand corner. Apparently this COULD BE due to the heating process at the end of the repainting. Not sure if this makes sense though. I understand that there's really no way to repair this stuff - short of completely replacing the entire cluster/dash. That true? I just can't understand how this could have been damaged . . . and not that it's a HUGE deal, but you expect that the stuff needing to be fixed will be fixed, and that no new stuff will be broken. You know?

3) If your tires need replacing (I have the 205/70/R14), could excessive road vibration be attributable to this? I don't remember it being THAT terribly loud - although it was more noticable after I had the brake work done a couple of months ago. My mechanic immediately said that it was because the tires need replacing, but that almost seems counterintuitive given that less tread would seem to mean less road vibration (with less road-grabbin' happening).

4) Air control levers - the bottom two don't go all the way to the right! You can push 'em there, but they don't stay. Their new position for "all the way to the right" is now more like and inch or so short. Anyone else have this? Is this something that just happens over time?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, of course!

Next on the list of repairs: * Driver's side auto door lock actuator * Driver's side power window motor * All new stripping around the doors * 3 New arm rests

Upgrades to come: * New stereo system * Roof rack (I'm thinking old school wood slats) * All new mats for the interior - front to back

-Drew, Las Vegas '90 GL "Blackbeard"