Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:43:18 -0800
From:         M'obeechi <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anti Rolling Reminder for Automatics when parked
Comments: To: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM

That's easy to say, but I already have 5 things on my mind, and so that makes it 8 things, and thats (5 + or - 2), one too many things... the last one thing being upwards of 5,000 lbs....

Many times? How many seconds each time? Two minutes to walk back and return? How many times? Two x 400 = 800 minutes, thats about 13 hours.

#! 13 hours of the only live you'll ever get to live.

> It's 3 things really..........key off, lights off, and it's in Park. > I have walked back to my vanagon many times to make sure it was in Park. >

Or maybe one can program themselves: 1. Cut the Engine while still in drive (but no longer in motion) 2. Press the shifter's button, and place the Automatic 'shifter' in Park (the most forward position) 3. Switch Lights to "off" (or make sure they are indeed "off". Tip: always drive with lights on, so you can perform this step) 4. Turn the ignition key back to power, but without turning the key to "engine-on". 5. Roll up the electric windows (read a book while they roll up) 6. Make sure the window switches aren't stuck (if they stick, buy a new electric motor, just in case) 7. Take the ignition key out (after turning back to off; Its a little easier that way) 8. Lock the Van (press down the lock of the front passenger-side door while said door is shut and you are standing outside the vanagon with (and where) the sliding door (is) open, though your hand is inside, then shut the sliding door... and wait to hear the sliding door lock itself -- if it doesn't start over at no. 1) 9. Run back to Van, stand there and wonder why the van is rolling down hill. Since you've just locked the keys inside the Van, and the spare is hidden under the Van, try to remember where... 10. Climb under a rolling Van, find the spare key, climb on the front bumper, open the container holding the spare key, don't drop it, unlock the vanagon, hang on while you hang from the outer edge of an open door, then reach in and throw the 'shift' to Park. 11. Explain to the neighborhood why you need more to time to reimburse them for the destroyed tomato stands. 12. Wonder why the transmission won't work anymore.

Thats too damn complicated.

Planned future revisions are 1. Find a step where it make sense to put the keys in your pocket. 2. Find a step where it makes sense to check if the pockets on are the pants you are wearing.