Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:45:46 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: WAS: $15 steel wheel source-how about some 15" steelies?
Comments: To: George Wietor <wietorg@YAHOO.COM>

re the spare tire space under the front .............. where width of the tire is concerned..............there are two versions of the spare tire clamshell that I am aware of. On vans that originally could take 205/70 R 14's ............such as an 87 Wolfsburg, or a 90 Syncro Westy......... those clamshells have a 'drop down' bracket at the front .........about an inch and half's worth - those will accomodate a wider tire.

When putting 15's on a customer's SVW Syncro Westy, I chose the Michelin Agilles 205/65 R 15 specifically because I always heard that was a great vaagon tire, and I figured it's diamter would fit in the spare tire holder/ clamshell , and the later type clamshell is perfect. ( won't fit with an early style clamshell though - but you could use a longer bolt and spacers ) I'm running those tires and van cafe 15 inch wheels on my 85 Wolfsburg Weekder now...........they're awesome, and the size, offset, and how they look and feel, and how the spare fits under the front are all perfect. It's not a winter tire, but otherwise,, just perfect.

They expensive for a non-alloy all right, but they are new .........and they are truly 'vanagon wheels' made for vanagons. I call them them 'cop car wheels' ........becasue what you see on many cop cars are black 15 inch steel wheels and probably H speed rated tires. There are no bumps on these van cafe SA wheels for a smaller center chrome hupcap though. Guess I'll have to use some 15 inch full size hup cap eventuaully if I want any sort of hubcap.

Diamter wise, as far as putting a spare under there........a limiting factor is when the tire rubs on the steering shaft that goes right by there. Another minor thing to consider about extra big tires..............even if you keep a smaller spare tire on a 2WD vanagon.......is if you get a flat....... that huge flat road tire will have to go inside the van. ( or on the roof ) And if you have family or passengers or whatever.........that would be an inconvenience for sure. At least carry a large garbage bag or tire plastic bag to keep the spare in in case it's dirty, muddy etc. unless you figure to put it on the roof until you can get it fixed. Seems to me that that 225/75 R 16's would be rather large diameter-wise. And I don't want anythign rubbing, or being very close to an upright or anything like that. I had some Benz 190E wheels once............and even when they were one eight inch from the upright in front..........going around corners there was enough flex to make them rub anyway. The right offset , not too wide or narrow a track, all that's important in my book anyway. what fun we are having ! scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: "George Wietor" <wietorg@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 12:56 PM Subject: Re: WAS: $15 steel wheel source-how about some 15" steelies?