Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:59:05 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [TDI-conversion] I gotta tranny... what is the gearing? no
              codes
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, diesel-vanagon@yahoogroups.com

sure, you can get close to what the overall ratio is in top gear by a kinda crude method . ( overall ratio is R & P times the ratio it's being driven though............I think most 4th gears in 4 speeds are either .85 or ..........88 , .82.................something like that... Daryl knows ! ) this is done most easily with the engine removed from the trans. put it in top gear. mark a spot on the input shaft so you can count how many turns it makes. rotate both output ( axle ) flanges equally one full turn together. if say you hvae a 4.87 R & P and top gear is .85 ...........whatever those two number multiply out to............say it's 4.20 ........( whatever .......I'm not doing the math right now ) you would expect to see the input shaft do 4.2 turns for one complete revolution of both axle flanges, turned equally together. So you can at least get the overall ratio in top gear that way .............which is a useful number to work with - 'overall in top gear'. I think for stock DZ code 82 diesel vanagons it might be 4.88 .............( remember they ole 4.11 R & P from chevy street racing ? ......... that used to be 'the lower' or more performance focused R & P compared to the stock more crusiing R & P's of around 3.80 .........or even 3.50 ......this is how I keep straight in my mind what's high and what's lowish. ) 4.88 overall gearing in top gear is pathetically low. That's dune buggy low. Which is why stock 82 4 speed diesel vanagons are scraming their guts out at 60 mph.

I had one 5 speed trans built with a .72 5th gear............forget the R & P now, but that one was 3.50 overall in top gear.........that's very, very high for a top overall ratio in vanagons. It was just a bit too high in 5th with a 1.9AAZ TD engine. A Soobie would have pulled it just fine. But with my crude method here, you can get close to finding out overall ratio in top gear.

How 'nice' of that company to grind off code numbers on the trans. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: Matthew To: diesel-vanagon@yahoogroups.com ; tdi-conversion@yahoogroups.com Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 1:15 PM Subject: [TDI-conversion] I gotta tranny... what is the gearing? no codes

I'm working on a person's bus and he wants to know the gearing. Supposedly the tranny is a TiICo rebuild (yes, tiico...). All codes on the bottom side have been ground out. There are zero marks otherwise. None, zilch. yikes.

So how do I figure out the gearing? it is a 2wd vanagon tranny from a 86 bus.

I don't want to pull the bellhousing to count the final drive.

I could figure it out empricially with rpm and speed i guess. Anybody got a solid answer otherwise?

thanks matt

"may the four winds blow you safely home"

__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar Community email addresses: Post message: TDI-conversion@onelist.com Subscribe: TDI-conversion-subscribe@onelist.com Unsubscribe: TDI-conversion-unsubscribe@onelist.com List owner: TDI-conversion-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/TDI-conversion MARKETPLACE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity a.. 1New Members Visit Your Group Yahoo! News Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Drive Traffic Sponsored Search

can help increase