Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:29:36 -0800
From:         Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Blackbeard Comes Home! (With questions)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com, wet Westies <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

*Wind whistle or noise isn't from the windshield - it's from one or both front doors.* > > May well be! PO had a bra on the front end from the time that it came off the dealer's lot, and was on until right before the adjuster came a couple of months ago. As can be expected, that upper metal claw did a number on the rubber that it rubbed against. It was that way before the accident, but given the front-end impact it's definitely possible that the outside air could now have more of an impact than before - especially now that the bra is a thing of the past.

On the other hand, after I sent the initial post I was driving around (listening to the blustery wind inside the van) and I pushed up against the windshield and the rubber seal at the top on the driver's side - and the sound of the airflow changed.

Bottom line is that when I go back in the next week or so, I'm going to have this attended to. There was NO sound due to air leaks prior to the accident, and it's not something that I'm too intent to 'get used to'.

* don't follow you exactly on the speedo thing. Sounds like the 'glass' is scratched ............ seems like replacement would be the repair. *

Speedo thing . . . Immediately to the right of the steering wheel is the speedometer and fuel gauge/indicator. There's a piece of clear plastic in front of it that slants forward from bottom to top. It's cracked and it bugs me. I want to fix it, but I've not heard of any way to fix it that doesn't require completely replacing the odo/tach/speedo/fuel instrument cluster. It would seem at first glance that it's a simple "pop the old piece of plastic out and pop a new one in" - but everything I've seen indicates that this is not possible.

Tires - replacing them IMMEDIATELY!

Yeah, I do think that there was an element of "slam dunk" repair work going on. Nothing that can't be remedied relatively easily - just wish the shop was closer to home!