Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:44:48 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: WAS: $15 steel wheel source-how about some 15" steelies?
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

Good questions. I would like to know too. A big issue with Vanagons has been stiff sidewalls. Would a change in rims to a larger diameter, and the accompanying change in tire sizes compensate the stiff sidewall issues. I currently have a set of Michelins that have a sidewall so stiff that the tires don't go flat even when they have a flat - when there is virtually no air in them. (I know - it's a bit of a stretch, but hopefully you get my point). I mean these things are stiff. And they increases performance tremendously. But - like many Michelin tires that fit the Vanagon's 14 inch rims, the tire is no longer available. I'm up for new tires and I have to do something about those rims. I'm having more and more trouble finding appropriate tires in a size 14.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Chris S wrote: > 4500lb of Mercedes or Vanagon - what is the difference? If you mount > tires that can handle an S-class you think they could take on a Westy? > Does a Vanagon somehow load the tires more or are the LT tires > specified because nothing in a tiny 14 size can handle 1500 plus a > considerable safety margin? Someone set me straight. > > On 12/22/08, Zeitgeist <gruengeist@gmail.com> wrote: > >> So, are these reinforced sidewalls? I thought the whole idea of running >> larger diameter rims was so that we could reduce the area of the sidewalls >> as a means of reducing flex. Basically, what I've observed is that >> everyone's running 70 and 75 series tires, which seems to defeat my primary >> intent for upgrading. I currently have a really cool set of staggered 16" >> SLK rims with nearly new Kumhos (205/55 and 225/50), that I had on my >> Mercedes wagon before upgrading to larger Brembo calipers which necessitated >> 17" rims. These aren't LT reinforced sidewalls, but they're a helluva lot >> lower profile than the stock 70 series on my 14" alloys. Is there a low >> profile 16" LT all season tire out there? >> >> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Jake de Villiers < >> crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> >>> I bought a set of 7" x 16" Mercedes Benz steelies with 225/55-16 Michelin >>> tires on it from a C230 and they transformed my grey van. Handling is >>> strong, tracking on the highway is really good and braking is fantastic! >>> >>> There's about a red one between the sidewall and the upper control arm but >>> there's been no rubbing in 6 months..... >>> >>> I want a set for Dixie too - thanks for the tip on Tire Rack >>> >>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM, George Wietor <wietorg@yahoo.com> wrote: >>> >>> >>> >> -- >> Casey >> '87 300TD >> '94 100CSQ Avant >> '89 Bluestar >> >> > > -- > Sent from my mobile device > > Chris S. > Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur" > > >