Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:55:21 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WAS: $15 steel wheel source-how about some 15" steelies?-Tire
              sizes again!
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

I wish folks would stop getting hung up on the "LT" tire thing especially once a decision is made to upgrade the tire/wheel size.

There are many factors that influence a tire's handling characteristics and a stiff sidewall alone is not the answer. Carrying capacity is a more of a dynamic issue than actual strength and is affected by size, contact patch, heat creation/dissipating, and impact resistance.

Lower profile tires can increase handling but they also can increase ride stiffness. As the wheels get larger and the outside diameter stays the same carry capacity will go down. This is due mostly to the lower impact resistance caused by the decrease in air volume. A way to get past this is to increase air pressure. Yes, many low profile tire sizes are available with reinforced sidewalls to increase load capacity.

As for comparing Mercedes "S" class tire combinations to the Vanagon, Newer S classes can weigh near 5,000 pounds empty. I have a '92 S600. The current tires on it are 225/55-17 reinforced. This is 26.5" tire with a load index of 101V. This will carry a Vanagon no problem. A non reinforced tire in this size will have a load index of 97. Still no problem for a Vanagon! It will not fit in the spare tire carrier though.

For 16" wheels, my favorite size for 2WD is 255/60-16. Normal load index is 97. There are also a number of reinforced tires available in this size. This was also the last size VW used on the Eurovan. For Syncros, I like the 215/65-16. Normal load index is 98, 17" tall, and can be squeezed into the spare tire carrier with some modification and deflating it. Carry an air pump. Reinforced will bring you up to 101 or 103 LI.

Dennis