Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:15:02 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Voltage Drop - Less than 3% - 15 feet, 2/0,
Comments: To: sylvan Beierl <sylvanb@gmail.com>

At 02:55 PM 12/29/2008, M'obeechi wrote: >I have copper connections, could also get marine grade copper >connectors which are lined with tin I think. Only thing is, crimping >the connection with a wrench seems kind of iffy, and doesn't give a >me the "dimple" I see on the connectors someone else made for me.

Please! Get a proper crimping tool (costs ~ $50, you bang it with a three-pound hammer until the ends meet, try marine stores) (It's a spring-loaded seesaw with one side sized for terminals, the other for lugs which IIRC are slightly larger -- set the spring to hold the working side closed -- cavities on the bottom, points on the top) or hire the job done by someone with the proper tools. You're going all nuts for everything just exactly so, and then talking about skimping one of the most vital parts of the job, it just doesn't make sense. If you don't get a proper gas-tight connection at the terminals then you're Damocles with humidity and salt air nibbling at the thread. And with the current that setup can deliver, my guess is it could fail by catching fire, not just wimping out.

Which reminds me -- you do remember you're basically building a multi-thousand-amp welding rig there, so serious attention to proper fusing should be large in your plans. You're going to be needing interrupting capacities up in the 10-20,000 DC ampere range, I would think. [Incidentally, in the early '50s the Navy sent my father to MIT to try to build a fuse with 100,000 DC amps interrupting capacity for submarines -- they were using 600 volt batteries at several hundred amps working current IIRC, for propulsion. I don't think he succeeded, but I know you can buy one now.] Here's a datasheet for a suitable fuse (200,000 amps AC, 20,000 amps DC interrupting capacity) in values up to 30 amps. The same company makes other series fuses for higher current values. <http://www.bussmann.com/pdf/f8f687cc-1fff-4389-be7b-f62931b45053.pdf> The recent fad for ridiculous automotive stereos has made high-blowing-capacity fuses easy to get at the FLAPS, but I don't know whether or no they have appropriate interrupting capacity, as that is much harder to achieve, *especially* for DC. AC is much easier because the arc shuts off so many times per second regardless, but DC just keeps on pushing.

Here's a teaser from an extremely interesting article:

>For comparison, we decided to directly short the battery with only >the shunt and switch in the circuit. This would give us an idea of >the maximum available current the batteries could deliver to the >devices we had tested. The switch was thrown for approximately three >seconds and then shut off. The meter recorded 6960 amps as the peak >current. We repeated this three times, with each additional reading >lower in value. During each test the 4/0 positive cable lifted up >off the ground 4 inches into the air by the forces generated from >the extremely high current flowing through the circuit.

The entire article, which is very readable and densely filled with directly relevant information, is at <http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/alternative-energy/homepower-magazine/archives/27/27p26.txt> Your setup has somewhat smaller output capacity than theirs. For comparison the Optima Group 31 battery has rated impedance of 0.0025 ohms, allowing a theoretical short-circuit current up to about 5,000 amps.

How far you actually follow all this in practice might depend on how much of the setup is inside vs outside the cabin and no doubt other factors as well, but you need to be informed to make such decisions prudently.

And just for giggles, here's what a truly serious AC arc looks like. I can tell you that the sound doesn't do justice to it. I've been a few hundred feet away when an ordinary street-pole breaker opened, and it was EXTREMELY LOUD. That one arced for about a second and there was no visible excitement. <http://www.arcfault.org/video.htm>

Cheers,

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"