Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:24:24 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: where to advertise westy for sale added link
Comments: To: Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

I'll just share this ............ something I've seen several times in vanagons for sale. Based on what has been replaced, and the general overall condition....... it becomes apparent that the thing was 'just driven' .....until one system completely failed.......... then it got say 'all new brakes' ..........or 'rebuilt transmission' ................. and meanwhile, each of the other 20 or so systems are being 'just driven' ........ so you get a vehicle with say 3, or 5 NEW things on it, and 20 systems beyond those 3 or 5 getting closer to their end.

On the rare 'actually serviced and cared for properly' vehicle............and really, on vanagons especially, if they got all the fluid changes , inspections, and services they are supposed to get, and tired things replaced as they are discovered ( rather than when something is obviously very, very wrong ) ....... they will last nearly indefinitely, if combined with sensible operation of course........ And if things are taken care of when they are small............say good shocks kept on, alignment checked once in a great while, iffy suspension parts replaced before they are really tired.......etc A vanagon that's been properly cared for can go a long, long time, and be rewarding and safe to drive as well. Inspecting some vanagons for sale, it's apparent, for example, that some people may not realize operating a vehicle with ancient or shot shocks also tears up the suspension, and that causes the tires to wear funny etc.............'it all adds up.' ( I also am empathetic that it can be quite hard to find any shop you can really trust, to do the right thing, to do it competently, and at a fair price...... that can be darn hard to find ! ............so I have some understanding why people may not be so eager to let anyone to inspections, service, and repair on their vanagons )

< the smog check person who couldn't figure out the engine is in the rear of a vanagon...... that's scary ! ..........I mean, a 6 year old girl could tell you what end the engine is in for gosh sakes ! ........but if this is the kind of person a regular vanagon owner has to turn their car over too........yikes, that is scary >

If this one's engine has 169K .............that's getting up there all right. I've heard of them going 250,000 miles. They can use head gasket and head work as often as every 80,000 miles ..........'depending' .............and I gather that eventually 2.1's have an oil pressure problem at the rod bearings.......... something about the stretch rod bolts used I read. It's 'hard' to take an engine down to the rod bearings when all seems fine there, but rather than just stopping at a valve job and new headgaskets, on these waterboxer engines, especially the 2.1's.......I think I'll be inspecting rod bearings, plastiguaging new ones to check the oil clearance, and put in new rod bolts or nuts as required, and new rings, or new pistons and barrels. .......that should make one good for a while.

I love selling cars and vanagons, and I think that a buyer's biggest fear is that some major expense.............which often might be an engine or a transmission...... will happen soon after they get the car.

Not sure if I need one yet, but I might be needing a good used waterboxer vanagon auto trans.

anyway, happy NY to all ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Drew" <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:35 PM Subject: Re: where to advertise westy for sale added link