Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:20:12 -0500
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: oil drain threads stripped

Today I returned the rental after installing the Time-Sert insert into my oil drain. It worked well, and I like that I now have that threaded steel insert for the drain plug instead of the soft aluminum. My new, correct drain plug threaded in and tightened up to the proper torque just fine.

I am also glad I chose this option because the plug that was stripped was already a McParts "oversize" plug, so that would not have been an option for me.

If anyone else is planning to do this, one thing that was not obvious (to me, anyway) is that when ordering the rental you have to order the insert itself as a separate item: none are automatically included with the tool rental. The folks at AirCooled.NET were nice enough to ask if I had meant to order an insert before they shipped the tool -- a very good company to deal with, at least in that regard.

Allan -- 1991 Vanagon GL