Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:43:04 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Re: [WetWesties] Split Weld Seam
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: wet Westies <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>, Syncro@yahoogroups.com

We just need to educate people like your typical tire store guy about vanagons needing, usually, LT or C ( 6 ply ) rated tires. It's the handling and tracking ability you get from stiffer sidewalls, not just the weight of the vehicle. I've tried all kinds of various 14 inch ( not getting into the 15's more ) tire on Vanagons. I don't like LT's quite as much as C's. I'd lean toward 185 R14C ........ and even better...............195 R 14 C. In the case of C tires, you need to note the max weight and max pressure on the side of the tire. There are 'C' tires that are D load range rated - and I personally find them too stiff - the D's. the max tire pressure is an easy tip off....... C's usually have a 55 psi max tire pressure, and D's 65 psi.

I have 8 vanagons, one personal, and 7 'sellers' ..........that I'm getting all dialed and sorted out to sell. Therefore I can try lots of different tire and wheel combinations on any van. I'm looking for good straightlline tracking, good crisp turn in, low rolling resistance, and just a good feel, and not a mushy feel. The Aqulles I just mounted on 15 inch wheels have all that in spades. Thing tracks like a demon..............don't even have to 'guide' it much going down the road.

I've been sitting on this set of Michelin Aquilles 205/65 R 15 C's...........they cost like a hundred bucks each.........I got 5 of them near new in a trade. And I finally got 'real' vanagon 15 inch wheels. I've always heard this was a good vanagon tire, and it's also a Eurovan tire. The difference in my personal van is astounding with these tires on ! Feels like the van got 50 more horsepower. Just wants to really 'go' , like rolling resistence must be much less, and they just feel rock solid. At tirerack.com you can read how various tires are rated for wet traction, snow traction, handling, noise, how fast they wear etc. And personal reviews of various tires.

Bottom line though ...........it's really worth it to n invest in really good tires for your vanagon. Some of the Hancook's and other brands in 195 R 14 C .............you might really like those.

and you know the old thing .........'if you want it done right, do it yourself.' .......... like YOU research and find the right tires for your van. Tirerack ships them right out. I have them shipped directly to my tire store.............and I don't even let my tire store touch my van, ever....... I just bring them my wheels from my vanagon in another car, and have them mount and balance them. tire shops screw up even installing the damn wheels on the car !!!

Road & Track Magazine...............on a long term test car, they had the tires re-balanced and rotated. They got a flat out on the highway somewhere. *nobody* could get the flat tire off the car, not them, not the tow truck driver etc............the lug nuts must have been put on a 400 ft lbs. It cost them hundreds in towing and other expenses to get that flat tire dealt with. AND...........R & T magazine only takes their long term test cars to fancy expensive places, like the dealer, but that sure didn't help here.

'Paying more' is no guarantee at all that you'll get people who really care and are competent.

If you want it done right.........do it yourself !! I was very surprised to see Bentley say 133 ft lbs for wheel mounting nuts ...........I do them by hand, by feel, probably to about 80 ft lbs. Never had a problem.

anyway, hope it works out well ! And tires are one place you'd really like the best you can. And long term, keep an eye out for 15 inch wheels, proper ones for a vanagon - a much better wheel size, and many more choices in tires. Scott turbovans

DANG IT ! ! ! I even told the tire guy that I needed the reinforced side wall for the heavier load!!!! That's when he came out to the van, looked at the previous tires for the load/speed rating, and then said that these were "more than enough"....

Alright. I'll check 'em, compare, and go back to make sure that I've got what I need . . .

-D

> > ( psst ! - don't be telling serious vanagon folk you got these tires - > they don't appear to be vanagon rated at all. ) > >

__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (2) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Polls | Calendar Please note that the default "Reply" function will route your reply to the entire group. If you have a private message for a member you'll need to specifically address your message to them. If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including unsubscribing), visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro Rude or offensive language is not allowed on the Syncro list. Please try your best to resolve differences privately and keep them off the list.

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity a.. 3New Members Visit Your Group Yahoo! News Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Sitebuilder Build a web site

quickly & easily