Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:24:08 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel filter 85 vanagon
Comments: To: Tony Collins <tonycollin@gmail.com>

This subject has been discussed from time to time. Here's a tidbit pulled from a Dec 2007 post I made:

The size of the larger inlet hose is 11mm (VW N 020 300 1). I have used standard 7/16" fuel hose from a FLAPS, but this uncommon hose isn't really easy to find. I have gotten away with using 12mm Cloth Braided Emissions/Vapor Hose (VW N 020 374 1) as the barbs on my pump and the pre-filter pretty well accomodate the hose and because there is no pressure to deal with should be quite safe. Always use clamps of course. This is what I've run for the past 10 years now.

Now a bonus for you (& other list members) if you choose to use the factory style square plastic pre-filter like I do on both my 84s:

VW: 133 133 511 Bosch Short: 71013 Bosch Long: 0450901005 Wix: 33274 Fram: G3743

I change my plastic filter every oil change to prevent fuel pump starvation. They're not expensive and it goes a long way to keeping your fuel system clean.

Additional Info:

Some Vanagons thru the late 80s were equipped with with BOTH the square plastic filter and the metal cannister (Bosch 0450 905 030). Both my 84s have this arrangement as original. The metal cannister filter has 8mm barbed fittings on both the inlet and the outlet and is mounted on the "pressure" side of the fuel pump.

I replace the metal cannister filter once a year.

YMMV -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@airheadparts.com *********************************** On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Tony Collins <tonycollin@gmail.com> wrote: