Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:06:31 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More early list memories...

How did I find the list?

In 1995, after coveting a friend's Westy for a few years, I undertook a search for one in good shape. Using the Internet, I found a 1991 (that I still have) that was in Connecticut by way of Maine. We drove up to look at it and drove it home that day. Unbelievably, it had been pampered, had been rust proofed with Waxol and to this day shows no signs of body rust.

So how did I find the list. OK, cover your eyes for the next part. I needed to replace the original tires and wanted the correct tires. After the owner of a local tire dealer tried unsuccessfully to sell me passenger car tires with a maximum tire pressure of 35 and said to just inflate them to 40 psi, I knew I needed professional help.

So after a search on the Internet for Vanagon people, I found the website of Harry Yates from BC who had a link on his website to the mailing list ( vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu). Old timers surely must remember Harry. He kept meticulous care of his Syncro Westy and posted a lot to the list. But, he just seemed to disappear and I haven't seen his name in years. After subscribing to the list, from someone I ordered the silver oval stickers with the vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu address and put one on the van to help spread the word.

At that time, Uncle Joel was doing the weekly reports. Subscribing to the list has enabled me to take better care of the van and also has made me a little paranoid. I expect to break down at any moment, but to date have never been stranded. I attribute my good fortune to all of the list advice and knowing what to do as preventive maintenance.

In late 1996, Tom Forhan put together the Propex group purchase and I joined in and convinced a friend of mine to also get one. Over the years, that single purchase has made camping in the van much more enjoyable.

I remember the email to the list when Ron announced that we was starting the Bus Depot and have been to Ken Wilfords place to have work performed on the van.

And all of the trip reports have been an inspiration to us to make some significant trips in our van and I am already thinking about next summers trip. One day, during future trips, I hope to stop by and see Ron at Bus Depot, Daryl at AA Transaxle, Benny Boy, and others. So much to do and so little time.

Harold ___ Harold & Faye Teer 1991 Westy (Vangaux) Harrisonburg, VA

Anyone else want to share their memories? > > > Ric > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. > > http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_speed_122008 >