Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:53:55 -0800
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sad day for our family, LVC.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis,

I am very sorry for the loss of your Dad.......

Funny how clear it becomes looking in the rear-view mirror when life grabs a hold of you and makes you stop whatever you're doing to mourn the loss of a loved one.

May his memory be eternal......

Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)

--- On Fri, 1/2/09, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Sad day for our family, LVC. To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 12:31 PM

My dad passed away this past Monday. As I reflect my thoughts I have realized that he made the decisions that shaped much of my life. most important is that he was the reason for my VW involvement, especially Busses and Vans.

During my younger years my family had limited means and at time both my parents worked two jobs. I am the oldest of 5 children born in 1960. September of 1970, My mom while pregnant with my brother Daniel, (child 4) she got into an accident totaling the only family car, the Ford Torino Station Wagon. As my dad had zero mechanical skills they believed new was the only option. The new car was a powder Blue 1970 Standard Beetle.

Now a Family of 6, we took a vacation to Lake George the following year. Yes 6 of us in a Beetle. Shortly after that trip, my dad decided we needed a Bus. Soon came the 1967 Splittie.

Starting at 13 I began doing some repairs on those vehicles. I spent 3 days doing a generator in the bus and then it wouldn't run. I swapped the green wires for the ignition points and the field coil. At 15 I rebuilt the engine in that Bus. Over the next two years I learned the hard way about bolt torque and other mistakes I made. I learned much working on those two cars. The Bus became mine in 1978 and I had it until 1981. It was replaced with a '69. That was later replaced with a '72. The Beetle went to my sister and she had until 1985 or so.

Thanks to those 2 VWs I honed skills that got me started in Industrial Maintenance. Been doing that since 1980. In 1983 I started working for Estee lauder as a Production mechanic. Now I am the engineering manager for their automated warehouse. All this because my dad decided to buy the 2 VW's.

My brother Daniel, also decided to go the mechanical route. He stuck with cars and is really a Ford fan. He has his own shop and towing company now. By the way, Dan and I have the same birthday, 10 years apart.

Kathy and married in 1983, our honeymoon bus was the 1972 converted camper. My third Bus, the first FUN BUS. In 1985 we aquired a 1984 passenger Vanagon. The Vanagon love began. It was replaced in 1988 with the '87 Syncro westy, still the current FUN BUS. even though we joined the RV and Mercedes world, there will probably always be a Vanagon in our driveway.

My life shaped by my father's decision to buy a VW.

While we didn't speak often since my parents moved to Florida, I knew he was there.

I'll miss him and I know he is ridding in my Bus, (Vanagon).

Thanks for listening, Dennis