Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:32:40 -0800
From:         Zolly <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: A 2009 Heads Up
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Well, it's Zoltan here for a change.

I did read and printed out the GoWesty report, which I read with more amusement than most of you. The story teller is liberally trashing the previous seller, me, while admitting later that everything was fine really. Listing items I installed, as if they did, like reconditioned transmission, expensive stereo, ceramic coated exhausts, etc. And some not listed as new heads, new fuel lines with SS clamps, new fuel level sensor (expensive), cables, etc. The funniest of them all was the assumption that I cut out the Syncro labels myself when they sold me the set, as if they did not know it. No seam rust at all. Period. Many pictures were provided to the buyer way before the purchase, about the process of the cleaning behind the kitchen unit, behind the rear window washer and the outsides of those places with POR 15 and anywhere where applicable. That car took me over six months to finish, lots of new parts from GoWesty was installed. I sold it in a condition that is as close to new as possible. And GoWesty sold it in the same condition, only added a lot of merchandise that helped the invoice to go up to $70k. The bid difference there was the time spent to make money. It seems, the honest guys who work real hard and do the dirty work taking forever, get paid the least. While those who take the fruits sell it with some nice package and beautifully printed invoice in air conditioned offices for a great price in a few more days of attention added only.

Business is business. We, the humble ones, work for it with pride, accepting reasonable rewards. Others do it in different style for different amount.

But the sadest of the story is the fleecing of poor Doug and his wife. Not only they lost about $10k in a hurry, but they probably paid $50k for the next one a week later from the big guys.

This was a nice van I got from an artist couple who moved to Boston from Colorado, where the car spent most of its life, not East Coast. Had only 60k miles plus on it. Very well maintained all its life. Pampered. The lady made sure she is not home when its gone, because she could not take it seeing it go. Wrote a very emotional letter to the new owner. They were the first owners. It drove immaculately all the way from Boston to Seattle with great power and gusto. Did not feel like it had that extra few hundres pounds of Syncro stuff on it. I did take the engine out, cleaned everything, painted them all, change the gaskets also to make sure, the guarantee I'll give will last for a long time. Engine painted with silver POR 15, and the parts on the engine black or silver as needed. It is something I recommend to aleviate the aluminum chalking and oxide, making the surface slick and easy to wash, having it look new for a long time. It is an absolute beauty when its done. It takes a long time for all the small parts individually painted and having it dried on hooks, but its a job well deserving to a great vehicle as these are. I had in stock a nice ceramic coated Syncro headers and put them on with the new muffler and tail pipe from GoWesty. Note that the story teller did not say that they had to work on the engine at all, other than "service" putting new oil in there and stufff. Even the A/C was changed to the new gas and works great.

I was waiting for this van to reappear from GoWesty. I knew, that Doug sold it to them soon after he bought it from me, and knew that they will make a ton of money on it. Only I did not expect any trashing for all that exceptional great work I have done on it. It was a masterpiece. Maybe the fact, that it was way above their possible level of quality, prompted the Story Teller to lower my flag. But, I guess, that is part of the way the money is made there. Show business. Let them enjoy making money. Make no mistake, they will stand behind their sales. They can afford it and there is always more stuff to sell.

Yes, I agree, it was not necessary to bring up Zoltan's name, especially because he was the one who made that van new again. GoWesy only hung a few gadgets on it and sold their own propriatery engine or other things that no dealer would touch, I think.

Long story, lots of money made on one guy. Even Zoltan took a loss by working his butt off on it and not making $2 per hour on the long run. No more of those until I'll be GoWesty myself, which is not likely since it is only a hobby to keep the Vanagon Westfalias, my second love, alive. But suggesting that anyone is inclined to cut out the Syncro logos himself, probably will be one of the best jokes for a long time. Especially when I bought new ones from him.

I sleep very well when I finish a job. Most of them are sold before they are finished. Sadly, only a couple is done a year. And my perfectionalist nature makes it longer every time.

I wish a very happe New Year to all on this list in good spirit and health.

Zoltan Kuthy 425 773 4646

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 11:42 AM Subject: Re: A 2009 Heads Up