Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:21:04 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: stuttering
Comments: To: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>

Matthew Snook wrote: > I have been driving around ('84 Waterboxer 1.9) in the soaking-wet > conditions here in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, and have noticed that on > wet mornings the engine stutters at low rpm until it is completely warm.

I drive my Vanagons when it's raining so hard that cows and flat rocks come to mind. If anything, they run better when the humidity is that high.

Years ago, though, my '84 7 passenger "Used" to run crappy when it rained ... until the heat of the engine dried out the engine compartment, that is.

What cured it for me was new sparkplug and coil wires along with cleaning out the end of the coil where the wire from the coil to the distributor cap resides.

Somewhere in your electrical system (maybe even the distributor cap itself) there is a problem. Though this is somewhat repetitive, clean all your connections as well as the "Grounds". Don't just eyeball them and/or try to wiggle them. Take them apart and, using fine sandpaper, emery cloth, or crocus cloth, clean them to bright and shiny.

Mike