Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:28:20 EST
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Go Westy sales tactics-on my soapbox with a long diatribe

I'll have to admit that Gowesty does have some hard to find items and every part that I have purchased from them has been OEM or comparable quality .However, I have always viewed their Westfalia sales operation as a rich, ignorant urban outdoors man/part-time-stealth-hippie wannabe magnet. I also believe that a fool and his money are soon parted. There are great Westy's and Syncro Westy's out there that have been painstakingly restored and maintained for 1/4-1/3 the money that Gowesty demands for their rigs. It was very unprofessional and totally uncalled for to mention a previous owner by name as they did. When do you ever see any auto ad that mentions and slams the previous owner that way? Part of the joy of owning a Vanagon that most on this list appreciate is the process of restoration while maintaining and occasionally upgrading a factory spec item on your van. I don't mind calling it as I see it here as Gowesty has shown their true colors . Sure, anyone can own a Westy and that idea fills me with joy. We do operate in a free market and anyone can easily understand that the worth of anything is exactly what some else will pay for it. I don't think that I'll ever be the Gowesty vehicle purchaser as I have now owned 2 Westys and one Vanagon none commanded anything close to their prices and both were purchased in great shape. I maintain and restore my own vehicles and have taken my Westys to dozens of Grateful Dead shows, hundreds of Bluegrass festivals and all over the east coast camping and enjoying the outdoors.Oh, and my Westy is a daily driver with 264,000 miles on it. I drive it daily simply because I love my van. My point? I don't think that anyone that will pay upwards of $75,000 for a Westy, even if it's a Syncro, is really educated in what qualifies as a great buy for one of these vehicles or would know where to buy it. Sorry if I have offended anyone that has purchased a vehicle from Gowesty. That is certainly not my intention here. I just can't see their sales lot as an example of there real value or selling price for a Westfalia. I don't see myself buying anything from them after seeing this gross lack of professionalism.

David Clarkson 90 Westy (with receipts that approach Gowesty restored treasure prices) **************Stay up-to-date on the latest news - from fashion trends to celebrity break-ups and everything in between. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000024)