Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:26:27 -0500
From:         Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>
Subject:      Re: A 2009 Heads Up

I think Doug's "bad feeling in his gut" is simply buyers remorse.

I read through the GoWesty ad (which has been updated, changing Zoltan to "seller"). After it's all said and done, the only thing they state is wrong is "what appears to be cosmetically rusty seems." (shouldn't it read seams?). "Appears to be"... implies that they are not sure. Everything else is confirmed to be in good order.

So anyway Doug has been checking out high dollar Syncros at GoWesty. However on an impulse he buys a Syncro he finds advertised for $31.5K.

While driving directly to GoWesty he has a chance to look more closely at the van. he has a "bad feeling in his gut". Why? Because of "what appears to be cosmetically rusty seems." or because it doesn't have all the cool stuff found on a GoWesty model.

Anyhow, GoWesty looks over the van and, finds (according to the ad) everything in good working order, right down to the solid fuel pump brackets, BUT, because of "what appears to be cosmetically rusty seems." (sic) confirms his "bad feelings".

GoWesty tells him it's only worthy $23K. Doug has GoWesty sell the Syncro at an $8500 loss (because of the "rusty seems"), then turns around and drops almost $98K on a GoWesty model with all the bells & whistles. Plus it's white!

As near as I can tell, Doug has more money than sense. After buying what sounds like an excellent Syncro, the "bad gut feeling" probably comes from the fact that it doesn't have the additional $70k of stuff that a GoWesty model would have, which he ultimately buys.

I my opinion he's just suffering buyers remorse because he didn't get the toy he wanted! To rationalize the purchase they need a good reason, hence, blame the seller!

-Mark K