Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Jan 2009 19:08:08 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: value of 84 adventure wagon
Comments: To: dj <djct2@YAHOO.COM>

if it's really only 39K total miles........ that is rare. 84 is not the best year due to the sliding door being too hard to operate ( just way to strong a spring inside the sliding door........sometimes the outside handles break off........and there are not any available , basically.

Otherwise, 84 is an OK year. 'yes'...........the stock AW vanagon interior layout is .......... well, I'm hyper opinionated about it........and give the designer of that layout a D -, if not an F in design class. I'm in the process of completely redoing the interior layout of an 85 Adventurewagon I have, no dents and no rust either...... that I for sale, or that I will be selling.

Very wise of the person to not let you jump start it. Right on. If a battery has been sitting dead a long time, lots of times they won't even take a charge from a battery charger.

I think AW's are a lot better than people realize. I always figured they'd be top heavy, or really hard to push through the air. They are neither of those. Aerodynamically they go through the air at speed in a more stable way than a Westy does......... that pointy back end of the roof...........that moves the center or pressure aft...............works like an arrow - contributes to stability in straight flight. I have almost no criticisms of the roof...........it's double walled, and insulated. ( I do think it was dumb to put the side windows on a slant with moving parts...........that is just asking for things to leak. I read recently one AW owner paid $ 1,200 for new top side windows, installed, I think it was. ) a Westy by comparison is sort of 'noodling' around in the air at say 65 mph........ AW is smooth and steady. They do not seem to have a fuel mileage penalty that I am aware of. They also don't feel top heavy ..... ..and it might be the HUGE bed that fills up the entire 2/3 of the rear of the van....... but they are absolutely the quietest Vanagon I've ever driven.

The only 'penalty' about them I think.. ( not counting the clutzy interior layout ) .......is the full time high roof. Wont' fit in a lot of home garages............or perhaps even in some low parking garages.

what I find totally exasperating about the stock interior : - you open the sliding door, and 2/3 of the opening is taken up by the fridge/stove/drawer thing that's installed right there. I use my vanagons to haul stuff........so I want nice floor area, like a Westy has. - there is only one window that opens down the left side of the van ( not counting driver's door of course ) - the put a cabinet right in front of that window..... If you want to open that window, you can.......by reaching through the closet below that cabinet, but the cabinet still blocks the view and fresh air. - in fact.........if things you want to put in the closet there won't fit through the tall narrow closet door...........the way you load something in there......something the size of a bag of charcoal......is to reach into the closet, open the window, then load the closet area through the open window on the side of the van !!

- the front passenger's seat that swivels.........it can only swivel toward the center of the van, since the stove/fridge oversize thing is right there. - the systems.........rather poorly installed.......and to work on them............you have to more or less destroy, or take the cabinetry apart as carefully as you can, doing minimal damage............there are no screws for disassembly. It's more like stabled and clued. Kinda chinsy stuff too. - when the bed is deployed.............there is about 11 inches max between the bed and the stove/fridge. and a narrow foot wide walkway to the front. ( the length of the installed furnace dictates.......or they let it dictate, that the cabinetry on the left wall of the vanagon stick out over 2 feet, eating up floor room. ) So there's no floor room when the bed is deployed. - they have the lowest grade.......and thus wasted interior volume, with the type of rear seat they use. A 'good rear seat' .........has 3 useful features - it's a nice trunk to stow stuff in, like a Westy has, and it folds out right into a bed........plus it's a seat. Three useful aspects. Also..........you'll notice a Westy or later GL vanagon with a Z bed rear seat......they're flat, like a couch, since they are also a bed, thus you can sit anywhere on them..........on the 'early type' crude seat they put in AW's..........the rear seat is made for 3 'bucket seat' position.........makes it lousy to sit on while using the table.

But hey, some people love their AW's stock. The one I put a 5 speed trans in, and a whole 85 front suspension and power steering into..........that guy loves his, and it's for sale btw, Located Salem, OR.

A Westy has NONE of these poor design issues. It's super well made and very nicely designed in comparison. And not even that bad to work on.

AW top with Westy interior is the best deal actually.

The finished oak trim inside the AW is nice. Just having wooden pegs to locate the upper bed is unbelievebly hokey. The propane furnace is nice.

I have for sale, btw........the *entire* rear bed system and all parts, out of a Vanagon Adventurewagon. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "dj" <djct2@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:51 PM Subject: value of 84 adventure wagon