Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:45:15 -0600
From:         joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon List Moderator

> In addition to volunteering how about normination? The person in > mind > is unca Joel. Unca Joel was responsible for a majority of past > culture > of this list that attracted a lot of us here before. Anyone engaging > in Vanagon (or VW) related business is not really appropriate for > the > moderator job.

boy!! some people!!

ya finally retire and ALL KINDS of folks come up with "stuff" for you do to!! i've repaired/installed/helped-with more computers AFTER i retired than i did when i was working! ;) (not really ... but it sounds good when you rant it out loud). :)

and i deny any responsibility for what the culture was in the past, present, or future! on this list or off it! :)

i kinda thought about 'volunteering', but came up with several reasons NOT to ...

a. i ain't a good manager. found out in the army that i wasn't too good at it, so i've avoided that line of work all my life. i'm much better as a number 2 (kinda fits my personality, some say) or helper, rather than the lead man on some project. i tend to be ... shall we say ... too bossy. :( which is not good for my ulcer or for them folks being bossed. :(

b. i'm not really savy on mailing lists or servers or that stuff. my job was just fixing pc's and holding hands with the users and showing them the basics. the nerds in our department didn't trust me around servers. ;) to them, i was a dinosaur from the main frame era (you remember them, right? big honking machines that cost million$ and occupied buildings, not just desktops) and basically a relic to be ignored and tolerated. so i took care of the other dinosaurs on campus, and the nerds liked that part, cause they didn't like dealing with old professors and such. :)

c. not really sure what a 'moderator' does ... has to read EVERY stinking message and 'approve' it before it goes onto the list? hmmm. well ... that sounds like a sucky job. :( whack someone down if they 'violate' some policy or some such on the list? well ... i dunno. i've always kinda though that we ... we precious few ... of the list should kinda police ourselves. but that's hard to do ... cause most folks on the list do NOT post very much. it is (by my observations and record-keeping) more than most large lists ... nearly 70 percent of the folks subscribed to the vanagon list have posted in the last six months. which i think is kinda amazing. true, it's usually the same two dozen folks, but there are another couple of dozen that zing in for a hit now and then. ;)

d. ask yourself ... do you REALLY want a broken-down old fat man telling you what to send out in your emails? ;)

unca joel "if nominated, i will not run. if elected, i will not serve. but if you pay me, i will take the money!!!" - a semi-famous politician of the past ;)