Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:49:37 -0800
From:         Walter Houle <whoule@ECSCONTROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Noise ?
Comments: cc: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Here's the latest: I did the stethoscope trick last week using a Louisville Slugger for an earpiece. It worked great, but I didn't hear anything unusual. I heard what I thought were normal mechanical gear meshing sounds. Maybe they sounded a tiny bit rough or gravelly but they didn't get louder or worse with increasing axle rpm. They were consistent on either side of the van, too. So, nothing conclusive.

Next I visited the shop that installed the new rear wheel bearings. They were nice enough to tear both sides down and re-inspect everything. They didn't find anything there either. The bearings looked fine, no scoring or bluing, and the grease was very clean. So again, nothing conclusive.

However, the noise is still there. One thought is the bearings themselves. They're SKF. Is there any reason to believe this brand runs noisier than the original OEM ones? If so, we could try a different brand of bearing, like FAG.

One other recommendation I heard is to temporarily swap out the Redline MT90 with some heavy Valvoline stuff and to see if that damps out the noise. If it does, then I can suspect a worn transmission. Is this a safe test to do?

Thanks, Walter 1985 Vanagon MT

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 4:39 PM To: Walter Houle Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Transmission Noise ?

you make a little stick that will fit between the driver's seat and gas pedal, and try set the rpm to about 2,000. or you jam a small stick or piece of wood under the throttle return screw on the throttle body. - or a helper with a steady foot.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walter Houle" <whoule@ecscontrols.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 4:07 PM Subject: Re: Transmission Noise ?