Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:04:28 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC at all (computer question)
Comments: To: B <oddstray@oddstray.com>

Myself, I run the paid version of AVG and PC Tools' Spyware Doctor on my Dell 1520 Laptop, Win XP Pro. You can download Spyware Doctor from Google Pack and it's free:

http://pack.google.com/intl/en-gb/pack_installer.html?hl=en-gb&gl=uk

While running just AVG and Spybot S&D, somewhere along the usual crawling thru the webs I encountered a very nasty Trojan a couple of months back. Both AVG and Spybot just couldn't detect it on their scans. On the advice of the IT person that supports our system here at VWG/Airhead, I downloaded the the Spyware Doctor and it detected and cleaned out right away. I run daily scans with AVG, Spybot and Spyware Doctor. The AVG and the "Doctor" (I know, Dr Who pun) is usually the only ones that detect any infections or questionable "stuff". Spybot hasn't detected anything in the past 4 months and it's updated daily. I may uninstall it if it's just gonna take up space on the laptop.

Another very powerful anti-virus and anti-spyware program is available from eset.com.

Keep in mind what works great for me may not be worth a plug nickel for anyone else.

Just my genuine nickel's worth, YMMV -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@airheadparts.com *********************************** On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM, B <oddstray@oddstray.com> wrote: